What is the maximum acceleration a runner can achieve with 90% friction?

In summary, a person new to physics is seeking help with a homework problem involving acceleration and friction. They attempt to use Newton's Second Law to solve the problem, but are unsure of the net force and make a mistake with units and terminology. They receive corrections and appreciate the help.
Kaleb
Hey all, I am new to Physics. Recently changed majors from technical writing to physics for the amount of interest I have in the subject. I have been doing ok but I missed a couple of questions on my last homework and I feel that I should have had somebody check my general solved statements after I finished to make sure that I was correct. Anyways, enough about me!

Homework Statement

What is the greatest acceleration a runner can muster if the friction between her shoes and the pavement is 90% of her weight?

Homework Equations

F = ma
.9%*9.8 m/s

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/8439/accelerationrn5.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I figure since the force is her body moving at a constant velocity that the greatest acceleration she could reach would be 8.82 m/s. I also tried to make this using Newtons Second Law of a = Fnet/m but what would the net force be equal to? 90%? Any and all help is appreciated, but please post in user friendly terms as I am not that familiar with heavy physics terms yet as I have seen in some other topics(but not all).

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure how your paper was graded, but maybe you got it wrong because of a little confusion in units and terminology?

Kaleb said:
I figure since the force is her body moving at a constant velocity that the greatest acceleration she could reach would be 8.82 m/s. I also tried to make this using Newtons Second Law of a = Fnet/m but what would the net force be equal to? 90%?

The force of her movement is her body's mass moving at a constant acceleration, not velocity. Also the greatest acceleration would be 8.82 m/s^2. I can't see a mistake otherwise.

Thanks Sarujin, your help is appreciated as well as the corrections to my terms. I see why I go it wrong now.

Related to What is the maximum acceleration a runner can achieve with 90% friction?

1. What is Newton's Second Law of Motion?

The Second Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. How do you calculate force using Newton's Second Law?

Force can be calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its acceleration, as stated in the formula F=ma. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the more force is needed to accelerate it at a certain rate.

3. Can you provide an example of Newton's Second Law in action?

One example of Newton's Second Law can be seen when a person pushes a shopping cart. The greater the force exerted on the cart, the faster it will accelerate. However, if the cart is filled with heavy items, it will require more force to accelerate it at the same rate.

4. How does Newton's Second Law relate to everyday life?

Newton's Second Law can be applied to many everyday activities, such as driving a car, riding a bike, or throwing a ball. It helps us understand how much force is needed to move objects of different masses and how acceleration is affected by this force.

5. Is Newton's Second Law always applicable?

No, Newton's Second Law is only applicable in situations where there is a net force acting on an object. In the absence of a net force, an object will either remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity according to Newton's First Law of Motion.