What is the magnitude of the tow bar force on the skier?

• Thread starter DeltaIceman
  • Start date
In summary, a skier with a mass of 61.9 kg is pulled up a 24.0° inclined slope by a tow bar at a constant velocity. The force applied by the tow bar is parallel to the slope. The magnitude of the force exerted on the skier by the tow bar is calculated using the equations F=ma and N=mgcosθ. The normal force, equal to the skier's weight, is multiplied by the coefficient of kinetic friction to determine the force needed to overcome friction. In order for the skier to move at a constant velocity, the tow bar force must be equal to the sum of the frictional force and the downhill component of the skier's weight.
DeltaIceman

Homework Statement

A skier is pulled up a slope at a constant velocity by a tow bar. The slope is inclined at 24.0° with respect to the horizontal. The force applied to the skier by the tow bar is parallel to the slope. The skier's mass is 61.9 kg, and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the skis and the snow is 0.140. Calculate the magnitude of the force that the tow bar exerts on the skier.

Homework Equations

F=ma
N=mgcosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

2r3ypn4.jpg

I thought I was doing everything right but I got the wrong answer so I was hoping for a little guidance thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your 247N value looks correct for the Normal force.

I don't know what that mgcos(theta) business is all about.

You already know to multiply the normal force by the coefficient of friction to get the force you need to overcome.

If the skier is moving up at constant speed then the towbar force is equal to this

Error in previous post.

The force mgcos(theta) is of course operating down the slope and helps the frictional force to oppose the towbar force, so...

TowbarForce = FrictionalForce + SkierWeightDownhillComponent

Related to What is the magnitude of the tow bar force on the skier?

1. What is the purpose of the tow bar in skiing?

The tow bar in skiing is used to pull a skier up a slope or mountain, allowing them to reach higher elevations without having to hike or walk up.

2. How does the tow bar work?

The tow bar typically consists of a long cable or rope attached to a motorized vehicle, such as a snowmobile or ski lift. The skier holds onto the tow bar and is pulled along the designated path by the vehicle.

3. Is the tow bar safe for skiers?

When used correctly and with proper safety precautions, the tow bar is generally considered safe for skiers. However, accidents and injuries can still occur, so it is important to follow all safety guidelines and use caution while skiing with a tow bar.

4. Can beginners use the tow bar?

Yes, beginners can use the tow bar as long as they are comfortable with skiing and can properly hold onto the bar. It is recommended for beginners to start with a slower speed and shorter distance to get used to the sensation of being pulled by the tow bar.

5. Are there any alternative methods of skiing without a tow bar?

Yes, there are other methods of skiing without a tow bar, such as using a ski lift, walking or hiking up the mountain, or using skins on the bottom of the skis to climb uphill. However, the tow bar is a convenient and efficient option for reaching higher elevations while skiing.