What is the magnitude of the torque in this scenario?

In summary, the magnitude of the torque applied by the given force on the object is 8 m*N. This was determined by taking the cross product of the position vector and the force vector, and then finding the magnitude using the formula T = sqrt(Tx^2 + Ty^2 + Tz^2). The units for torque are typically written as N-m.
BIOPSYCH

Homework Statement

A force of F = (3.00 i - 2.00 j) N acts at a location r = (1.00 i + 2.00 j) m on an object. What is the magnitude of the torque that this force applies about an axis through the origin perpendicular to the xy plane?

Homework Equations

Torque is equal to the cross product of the position (vector r) and the Force (vector F).

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the cross product and obtained 0 i + 0 j - 8 k.

Taking the magnitude, I found positive 8 m*N. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
BIOPSYCH said:
Taking the magnitude, I found positive 8 m*N. Is this correct?
Looks good. (Although the units are traditionally written as N-m.)

the final equation that you've obtained was correct and also the magnitude of your vector is CORRECT. since the equation of getting the magnitude of the vector[the torque in particular] is:

T^2= (Tx)^2+(Ty)^2+(Tz)^2

so, by using the values you have there'

T^2= (0)^2+(0)^2+(-8)^2
T^2=(-8)^2
T=[squre root of](64)
T=8

good job.

Related to What is the magnitude of the torque in this scenario?

What is torque magnitude?

Torque magnitude refers to the amount of rotational force applied to an object. It is a measure of how much an object can rotate around an axis.

How is torque magnitude calculated?

Torque magnitude is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The formula for torque is T = F x r, where T is torque, F is force, and r is distance.

What unit is torque magnitude measured in?

Torque magnitude is typically measured in newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the metric and imperial systems, respectively.

What factors affect torque magnitude?

The factors that affect torque magnitude include the magnitude of the applied force, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the angle at which the force is applied. The direction of the force also plays a role in determining the direction of the torque.

How is torque magnitude used in real-world applications?

Torque magnitude is used in many real-world applications, such as in engines, motors, and machines. It is also important in sports, such as in the swinging of a baseball bat or tennis racket.