What is the magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the arc?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnetic field at the center of the arc O due to a current flowing through a wire perpendicular to the paper. To calculate this, the Biot-Savart law is used, with different equations for the arc portion and each semi-infinite straight portion of the wire. The formula for a semi-infinite wire can be derived from the Biot-Savart law for an infinite wire.
anna_628
A current I = 3 A flows through a wire perpendicular to the paper and towards the reader at A and back in the opposite direction at C. Consider the wires below the plane at A and C to be semi-infinite. In the figure, L1 = 3 m, R = 6 m, and L2 = 6 m and there is a B = 2.37 T magnetic field into the paper (not including the field due to the current in the wire).

Caution: It may be necessary to take into account the contribution from the long straight wire which runs up to and down from the underneath side of the page.

Image: http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/5329/newpictureiv.png

What is the magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the arc O due to the current in the wire (T)?

This is what I've done so far:
For the arc portion of the circle, I used B = Mu(0)xI/8R

For each of the straight portion, I used the equation for a long straight wire, which is: B = Mu(0) x I/(2 x pi x a).

Since each portion of the wire is going in a different direction (i, j, k components), I took each field, squared it and added them all then took the square root. But this is not the right answer...Not sure where I'm going wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
anna_628 said:
This is what I've done so far:
For the arc portion of the circle, I used B = Mu(0)xI/8R
This looks good.
For each of the straight portion, I used the equation for a long straight wire, which is: B = Mu(0) x I/(2 x pi x a).
What straight segments are you talking about? Note that none of them is infinitely long, which is what that formula is for. Discuss each straight segment separately.

I guess I thought that this equation was for semi-finite straight wires as well...I don't know what the equation for it is if it is not this...

anna_628 said:
I guess I thought that this equation was for semi-finite straight wires as well...I don't know what the equation for it is if it is not this...
That equation is for a straight wire that is infinite in both directions. To find the formula for a semi-infinite wire, start with the Biot-Savart law. Hint: Look up how the formula is derived for an infinite wire and you'll see how to modify the derivation for a semi-infinite one.

Related to What is the magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the arc?

1. What is the definition of the magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the arc?

The magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the arc refers to the strength of the magnetic field at the exact center point of the arc. It is typically measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G).

2. How is the magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the arc calculated?

The magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the arc can be calculated using the formula B = μ0I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the radius of the arc.

3. Does the magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the arc vary along the length of the arc?

Yes, the magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the arc will vary along the length of the arc. It will be strongest at the center and decrease as you move away from the center.

4. What factors can affect the magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the arc?

The magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the arc can be affected by the current flowing through the arc, the radius of the arc, and the distance from the center of the arc. Additionally, the presence of other magnetic fields and magnetic materials can also affect the magnitude of the field.

5. How is the magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the arc used in practical applications?

The magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the arc is important in many practical applications, such as designing electromagnets and magnetic sensors. It is also used in the field of magnetohydrodynamics to study the interaction between magnetic fields and electrically conducting fluids.