What is the magnitude of the loop current at t = 1.3s?

In summary, a conducting loop with area 0.13m2 and resistance 6.0Ω, is placed in a spatially uniform magnetic field that varies with time according to Bz=at2−b. When t = 1.3s, the magnitude of the loop current is found using the EMF formula and the derivative of the magnetic field expression. The correct answer is approximately 0.16 A.
RenD94

Homework Statement

A conducting loop with area 0.13m2 and resistance 6.0Ω lies in the x-y plane. A spatially uniform magnetic field points in the z direction. The field varies with time according to Bz=at2−b, where a = 2.8T/s2 and b = 8.0T .

(a) Find the (magnitude of the) loop current when t = 1.3s.

Homework Equations

V = I * R
EMF = Δ(BA)/Δt * n

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the EMF using the second formula listed, with n = 1 as there is only a single loop.

EMF = Δ(BA)/Δt
Binitial = 2.8(02) - 8 = -8
Bfinal = 2.8(1.32) - 8 = -3.268
=> ΔB = 4.732
=> Δ(BA) = 4.732 * 0.13 = 0.6152

=> EMF = 0.6152 / 1.3 = 0.4732 V

Then I used the first formula to find a value for I...

0.4372 = I * 6
0.0789 A = I

This is incorrect however, and the correct answer given is 0.16 - roughly twice my solution. Am I leaving out a multiplier somewhere? Any help is appreciated, this seemingly simple problem has frustrated me for too long.

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnetic field is not changing linearly, so a linear approximation of the change is not going to be too accurate.

Since you have the expression for B(t), I'd suggest using the derivative to find the change in flux since (Faraday's Law):
$$EMF = \frac{d \Phi}{dt}~~~~~~\text{and}~~~~~~\Phi(t) = Area\;B(t)$$

Got it, thanks gneill!

Related to What is the magnitude of the loop current at t = 1.3s?

What is the definition of current in a conducting loop?

Current in a conducting loop refers to the flow of electric charge through a closed circuit. It is measured in amperes (A) and is caused by the movement of electrons.

How is current in a conducting loop different from voltage?

Current and voltage are related but different concepts. Voltage is the potential difference between two points in a circuit that causes current to flow. Current, on the other hand, is the actual flow of electric charge through the circuit.

What factors affect the amount of current in a conducting loop?

The amount of current in a conducting loop is affected by several factors, including the voltage applied to the circuit, the resistance of the circuit, and the properties of the conducting material used.

Can current flow in a conducting loop without a complete circuit?

No, current cannot flow in a conducting loop without a complete circuit. A complete circuit is necessary for the flow of electric charge, and any breaks or interruptions in the circuit will prevent current from flowing.

How is the direction of current determined in a conducting loop?

The direction of current in a conducting loop is determined by the direction of electron flow. Electrons flow from the negative terminal of a battery or power source to the positive terminal, so the direction of current in the circuit is opposite to the direction of electron flow.