What is the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration

In summary, the centripetal acceleration of an object on Earth's equator due to the rotation of Earth is 9.8m/s^2. If Earth's rotation period were to be increased by 1 day, the centripetal acceleration of the object would be increased by 0.034m/s^2.
ubiquinone
Hi, I have a question regarding centripetal acceleration that I'm not certain on how to solve. I was hoping if anyone may please help me out with this question. Thanks.

Question: a) What is the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration of an object on Earth's equator due to the rotation of Earth? b) What would Earth's rotation period have to be for objects on the equator to have a centripetal acceleration of magnitude [tex]9.8m/s^2[/tex]

Part a) I think I just use the formula for centripetal acceleration (i.e. [tex]a_c=\frac{v^2}{R}[/tex], where [tex]v[/tex] is the speed of the object around the circumference of a circle and [tex]R[/tex] is the radius of the circle)
Hence, I believe the values that I need to substitute into this formula are [tex]R=6370 km[/tex] (the radius of the Earth. However, what would [tex]v[/tex] be in this case? Is it the speed at which the Earth orbits around its axis? If so, how may I find this value, is it a constant that I can find in physics books?

Part b) Since, another way to express the centripetal acceleration is [tex]a_c=\frac{4\pi^2r}{T^2}[/tex] where r=radius and T=period, we can solve for T, [tex]T=\sqrt{\frac{4\pi^2 r}{a_c}}[/tex]
We can substitute [tex]r=6370\times 1000 m[/tex] and [tex]a_c=9.8m/s^2[/tex]
We get [tex]T=\sqrt{\frac{4\pi^2(6370000m)}{9.8m/s^2}}=5065.7s[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
ubiquinone said:
I think I just use the formula for centripetal acceleration (i.e. [tex]a_c=\frac{v^2}{R}[/tex], where [tex]v[/tex] is the speed of the object around the circumference of a circle and [tex]R[/tex] is the radius of the circle)
Hence, I believe the values that I need to substitute into this formula are [tex]R=6370 km[/tex] (the radius of the Earth. However, what would [tex]v[/tex] be in this case? Is it the speed at which the Earth orbits around its axis? If so, how may I find this value, is it a constant that I can find in physics books?

Unless, well.., you are given the linear speed of the object on the surface of the earth, you can't use the formula above [tex]a_c=\frac{v^2}{R}[/tex]. What you could do, is to use the other formula to calculate centripetal acceleration.< ie: a= W^2 X R> You will be able to find W since it is given by <2 pi/T> where T is the period of one revolution of the Earth which is the time in seconds of 1 day.

Last edited:
Hi there gunblaze! Thanks a lot for your help in explaining part a) so it should resemble something like this:
[tex]a_c=\omega^2r[/tex], where [tex]\omega=\frac{2\pi}{T}[/tex]
[tex]T= 1day\times\frac{24h}{day} \times \frac{60min}{h}\times\frac{60s}{min}=86400s[/tex]
Therefore, [tex]\displaystyle a_c=\left(\frac{2\pi}{86400s}\right)^2(6370\times 1000m)\approx 0.034m/s^2[/tex]

Is it right now? By the way is part b) correct as well? Thanks again for your time and patience.

Last edited:
yep. Its correct now for both parts.

Related to What is the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration of an object moving in a circular path towards the center of the circle. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is necessary to keep an object moving in a circular motion.

2. How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

Centripetal acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v²/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the speed of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What is the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration?

The magnitude of the centripetal acceleration is the numerical value of the acceleration, without taking into account the direction. It is equal to v²/r and is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

4. How does the magnitude of centripetal acceleration change with speed?

The magnitude of centripetal acceleration is directly proportional to the square of the speed. This means that as the speed increases, the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration also increases.

5. Does the radius of the circular path affect the magnitude of centripetal acceleration?

Yes, the magnitude of centripetal acceleration is inversely proportional to the radius of the circular path. This means that as the radius increases, the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration decreases, and vice versa.