What is the magnitude of the acceleration of the center of mass

In summary, a uniform solid cylinder with a mass of 10kg and radius of 0.1m is subjected to a constant horizontal force of magnitude 12N applied by fishing line. The cylinder rolls smoothly on a horizontal surface. The magnitude of the acceleration of the center of mass of the cylinder is 1.6m/s^2 and the magnitude of the angular acceleration about the center of mass is 16rad/s^2. In unit-vector notation, the frictional force acting on the cylinder is (4.0N)i. To find the frictional force, one can use the fact that the cylinder rolls without slipping and write equations using the condition of rolling, Newton's second law, and the torque equation. Using
noppawit
A constant horizontal force F of magnitude 12 N is applied to a uniform solid cylinder by fishing line wrapped around the cylinder. The mass of the cylinder is 10 kg, its radius is 0.1 m, and the cylinder rolls smoothly on the horizontal surface.

(a) What is the magnitude of the acceleration of the center of mass of the cylinder? (The answer is 1.6m/s^2)

(b) What is the magnitude of the angular acceleration of the cylinder about the center of mass? (The answer is 16rad/s^2)

(c) In unit-vector notation, what is the frictional force acting on the cylinder? (The answer is (4.0N)i )

I tried with τ (Torque) = I*a (alpha)

(12 - f)(r) = [tex]\stackrel{Ia}{r}[/tex]

12- f = [tex]\stackrel{0.05a}{0.1^2}[/tex]

I have 2 unknowns. What shall I do?

The answers that I typed are the correct ones, I would like to know that solution.

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org

Try using the fact that the cylinder rolls without slipping...so this means that the net velocity of the contact point with the ground is zero

Yes? But how can I find the frictional force?
Which equation I have to use to start at this problem?

hmm..see form three eqns...one using the condition of rolling
and one using Newton's second law on the body
and then one using the torque equation...thus find the frictional force

The force is acting on the edge of cylinder (not pass center of mass).

As I wrote, I used Torque = Moment of inertia x Alpha
(12N-friction force) = (0.5x10x0.1^2)(a/0.1)

Then, I don't know how to find 2 unknowns, as I have only 1 equation.

So, which equation I need for solving 2 unknowns.

no...write Newtons law for the WHOLE BODY...using Newtons law for a system of particles!:approve:

Related to What is the magnitude of the acceleration of the center of mass

1. What is the definition of "center of mass"?

The center of mass is the point at which the entire mass of a body or system can be considered to be concentrated, and from which all external forces act as if the mass were concentrated at that point.

2. How is the acceleration of the center of mass calculated?

The acceleration of the center of mass is calculated by dividing the net force acting on the body or system by the total mass of the body.

3. Does the acceleration of the center of mass change with the motion of the body?

No, the acceleration of the center of mass remains constant regardless of the motion of the body. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

4. What is the relationship between the acceleration of the center of mass and the net force acting on the body?

The acceleration of the center of mass is directly proportional to the net force acting on the body. This means that a larger net force will result in a larger acceleration of the center of mass, while a smaller net force will result in a smaller acceleration of the center of mass.

5. How is the magnitude of the acceleration of the center of mass related to the mass distribution of the body?

The magnitude of the acceleration of the center of mass is affected by the mass distribution of the body. A body with a more concentrated mass distribution will have a larger acceleration of the center of mass compared to a body with a more spread out mass distribution, even if the total mass is the same.