What is the magnitude of force vector?

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the magnitude of F2, finding the components of F2, and solving equations to find F2. The OP makes a mistake in stating the resultant force as 199.9 N instead of 58.264 N and eventually corrects it. The conversation also mentions a resultant moment of 115 N*m and the distance between Fr and point O, but it is unclear how these factors relate to finding F2. The conversation ends with someone asking for the correct problem so they can help solve for F2, but no further information is given.
ozzolins
1. Determine the magnitude of F2

attachment.php?attachmentid=61582&stc=1&d=1378674322.jpg

2. How can I find this one force if I know resultant force and other force? Never done this before, that's why I've no idea.

3. Sorry, I have none.

Attachments

• result.jpg
    result.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]F_r = F_1 + F_2[/itex]

Does this help you?

The resultant force is the sum of all forces.

I know that, but it's a bit more complicated due to the fact that for these forces I need to find x and y components first.

Well, what's stopping you from finding the components?

Unknown F2 value.

I came down to:

199.9 = √(0.6x+86.6)2 + (0.8x + 50)2

Though, I can't (don't know how) solve this equations.

NB! I made a mistake and resultant force is 199.9 N.

Fr = 58.264 N
I don't know where you got 199.9 N

And you could stand an algebra refresher.

SteamKing said:
Fr = 58.264 N
I don't know where you got 199.9 N

And you could stand an algebra refresher.
Why do you think it's 58.264N? I made a mistake writing it down in the first post.

This is only part of exercise.

There was resultant moment given of 115 N*m, and distance between Fr and point O (where this moment happens) was 0.575 meters. So I divided 115 by 0.575m and I got resultant force of 199.9N.

Now I need to find F2.

Anyone can help with that, please?

I'm sorry. The OP had a diagram asking to determine the magnitude of F2. If you want to post the correct problem you are working on, please do so.

Now the diagram is correct. Still can't figure out magnitude of F2.

ozzolins said:

It seems to me that you're not even trying. Show us what you've done to find ##F_2##, show us your work.

Last edited:
ozzolins said:
If you call f2 the magnitude of F2, what are its components in the x and y directions (in terms of f2)?

Chet

ozzolins said:
Is this your diagram, or is from some book / web site? What's with that 3-4-5 triangle?

Related to What is the magnitude of force vector?

1. What is the definition of magnitude of force vector?

The magnitude of a force vector is the measurement of the strength or size of the force. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it has only magnitude and no direction.

2. How is magnitude of force vector different from the direction?

The direction of a force vector describes the path along which the force is applied, while the magnitude refers to the size or strength of the force. Both are necessary to fully describe a force vector.

3. How is the magnitude of force vector calculated?

The magnitude of a force vector is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the square of the magnitude is equal to the sum of the squares of the components of the force vector in each direction.

4. What units are used to measure the magnitude of force vector?

The magnitude of force vector is typically measured in Newtons (N) in the International System of Units (SI).

5. Why is magnitude of force vector important in physics?

Magnitude of force vector is important in physics because it helps determine the strength of a force and its effects on objects. It is a crucial component in calculating and understanding the motion and interactions of objects in the physical world.