What is the magnitude of angular acceleration upon release?

In summary, the dumbbell in this scenario consists of a slender rod of negligible mass and small spheres attached to each end. It is pivoted at its center and initially held in place horizontally. When released, the magnitude of the angular acceleration can be calculated using torque = I(alpha) and treating the spheres as point masses. The position of the center of mass does not affect this calculation.
justagirl
A dumbbell consists of a slender rod of negligible mass and small spheres attached to each end with mass 12-kg and 6-kg respectively. It is pivoted at its center about a fixed horizontal frictionless axle and initially held in place horizontally. The length of the rod is 50 centimeters and connects the centers of the two spheres. The dumbell is then released.

What is the magnitude of angular acceleration immediately upon release?

I wrote down torque = I(alpha)
alpha = torque / I = 12(0.5) - 6(0.5) / I

I am stuck here. And what would "I" be in this case since the rod is neglible mass and we don't know the radius of the spheres?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
justagirl said:
I am stuck here. And what would "I" be in this case since the rod is neglible mass and we don't know the radius of the spheres?
Treat the spheres as point masses. What's the rotational inertia of a point mass fixed a certain distance from an axis?

Okay... treating them as point masses:

alpha = torque / I

= (m1)gr - (m2)gr / m1(r^2) + m2(r^2)

= 12(9.8)(0.25) - 6(9.8)(0.25) / ((.25^2) (m1 + m2))

= 13.1

Is that right? So the position of the center of mass doesn't really matter in this case?

Thanks!

justagirl said:
= 13.1

Is that right?
Yes, in units of radians/sec^2.
So the position of the center of mass doesn't really matter in this case?
I'm not sure what you mean. If you had wished, you could have calculated the torque by considering the mass as concentrated at the center of mass.

Related to What is the magnitude of angular acceleration upon release?

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how fast the angular velocity of an object is changing. It is represented by the symbol alpha (α) and is measured in radians per second squared.

2. How is angular acceleration related to linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration and linear acceleration are related through the radius of the object's rotation. The formula is a = αr, where a is linear acceleration, α is angular acceleration, and r is the radius of the object's rotation.

3. What causes angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is caused by a change in the torque acting on an object. Torque is a measure of how much force is applied to rotate an object, and a change in this force will result in a change in the object's angular acceleration.

4. How is angular acceleration measured?

Angular acceleration can be measured using a variety of instruments, such as accelerometers or gyroscopes. These devices measure the rate of change of the object's angular velocity, which can then be used to calculate the angular acceleration.

5. How does angular acceleration affect rotational motion?

Angular acceleration plays a crucial role in rotational motion. It determines how quickly the object will rotate and how much force is required to change its rotational speed. It also affects the object's stability and ability to maintain its orientation while in motion.