What is the magnetic saturation of gadolinium?

In summary, a gadolinium piece at room temperature is paramagnetic, but will become ferromagnetic if cooled.
cmb
Just interested to know what the flux saturation of gadolinium is, and what is its Curie temperature?

I can't find any data on it at all.

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
cmb said:
Just interested to know what the flux saturation of gadolinium is, and what is its Curie temperature?

I can't find any data on it at all.

thanks.

Google it ... it's really easy to do, there's tons of info available :smile:

I have.

I find Bohr magnetron data, no idea how that relates to saturation flux, if anything.

The hits I get are all about MRI, due to the gadolinium marker they use for some scans, and I can't search for anything beyond that.

Maybe your skills at using search engines are better than mine and you could offer a suitable search term and I'll review the top 10 that come up to see if something covers it?

berkeman said:
I did a Google search on your thread title, and seem to get good hits. Have you seen these already?

https://www.google.com/search?q=What+is+the+magnetic+saturation+of+gadolinium?&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1
Yes, they are all showing as 'opened' in the usual browser colour on my computer, I have already gone through those.

What I have found is an indication that its ferromagnetic behaviour has been tested up to 250degK, and that at 4K it is around 2.3T, and there are some indications of similar saturation levels in films.

What I would like to know is if I have a machined block of it on my desk, at room temperature, what is its saturation flux?

As it is one of only 5 elements that exhibit ferromagnetism, I'd have thought it might make an appearance on a graph such as the one on the wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturation_(magnetic) .

cmb said:
http://academic.uprm.edu/pcaceres/Courses/Smart/SMD-7A.pdf

Slide 31/76 appears to say it is 2.5T, Curie temp 16C. I presume a piece at [warm] room temperature is therefore not ferromagnetic at all but paramagnetic?
If that info is correct, it is paramagnetic at room temperature =## 20^{\circ} ## C, but will be ferromagnetic if you go to cool "room" temperatures=## T<60^{\circ} ## F. ## \\ ## If you can get a sample, it should be interesting for you to experiment with the temperature phase change.

Likes berkeman
I've actually come across a video on YouTube recently that demonstrates this property of Gadolinium (Look at 5:00):

Likes Charles Link
Thanks for linking it in, a great video, and thanks to that youtuber.

Interesting questions there about why iron has the highest ferromagnetic response at the surface, but cobalt at a distance.

There is no magnetic saturation because it nonmagnetic it does not have any ferrite. It can be used to make a great transmitter by using it in a transceiver as the collector of the signals.

Related to What is the magnetic saturation of gadolinium?

1. What is magnetic saturation?

Magnetic saturation refers to the point at which a material can no longer be magnetized, meaning that it has reached its maximum magnetic field strength. This is typically measured in units of Tesla (T) or Gauss (G).

2. What is gadolinium?

Gadolinium is a rare earth metal with the atomic number 64. It is a silvery-white metal that is commonly used in alloys and in the production of electronic components. It is also known for its unique magnetic properties.

3. How is the magnetic saturation of gadolinium measured?

The magnetic saturation of gadolinium is typically measured using a magnetometer, which is a device that can detect and measure magnetic fields. The material is placed in a magnetic field and the resulting magnetization is measured, allowing for the determination of its magnetic saturation point.

4. Why is the magnetic saturation of gadolinium important?

The magnetic saturation of gadolinium is important because it is one of the highest among all elements, making it useful for various applications such as in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, magnetic refrigeration, and magnetic data storage. Its high magnetic saturation also makes it a valuable component in alloys used for high-strength magnets.

5. Can the magnetic saturation of gadolinium be changed?

Yes, the magnetic saturation of gadolinium can be changed by altering its temperature or by applying an external magnetic field. At low temperatures, gadolinium exhibits a phenomenon called the "magnetic phase transition" where its magnetic properties change significantly. Additionally, applying a strong magnetic field can also increase the magnetic saturation of gadolinium.