What is the magnetic field in the region of the coil?

• Thread starter maxsthekat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, A small coil with 240 turns and a cross-sectional area of 0.9 cm2 is placed on a balance beam between the poles of a magnet. When a current of 18 mA is passed through the coil, equilibrium is restored by adding a mass of 76 mg. Using the equation for mechanical torque and magnetic torque, the magnetic field in the region of the coil is found to be (rmg) / (nIA). However, this calculation was incorrect and hints were given to correct it. It was eventually solved by using conversion factors and Google as a calculator with units included.
maxsthekat
First off, thanks to alphysicist for helping with my last problem :) I'm not trying to flood the board, but I have given a good attempt to this problem and can't see where I'm going wrong. Thanks to the community for having this board in the first place-- you guys are great! :)

Homework Statement

c11q2.gif

A small coil with N = 240 turns is mounted on one end of a balance beam and introduced between the poles of a magnet as shown in the figure. The cross-sectional area of the coil is 0.9 cm2 and the length of the arm OA of the balance beam is 31 cm. When there is no current in the coil, the beam is horizontal. On passing a current of 18 mA through the coil, the equilibrium is restored by putting a mass of 76 mg on the balance pan A. Find the magnetic field in the region of the coil.

Homework Equations

Mechanical Torque = r x F = r*F*Sin(theta) where theta is the angle between r and F
F = force on object (in this case due to gravity) = mg
r = radius from pivot

Magnetic Torque = u x B = u*B*Sin(theta) where theta is the angle between u and B; u = magnetic dipole moment = n*I * A (turns * current * area vector)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the arm is in balance, we know that the magnitude of Magnetic torque = Mechanical Torque.

Therefore:
r x F = u x B
r*F*Sin(theta) = n*I*A*B*Sin(theta)
Sin(theta) in both cases = 1 (theta = 90 degrees)
r*F = n*I*A*B

r*m*g = n*I*A*B

B = (rmg) / (nIA)

Yet, this is incorrect. Does anyone have any hints you might be able to offer? Thanks again for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Got it! Conversion factors will get you every time! :P

Related to What is the magnetic field in the region of the coil?

What is a torque problem?

A torque problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the rotational force applied to an object around an axis. This force is known as torque and is measured in newton-meters (Nm).

Why are torque problems important?

Torque problems are important because they help us understand the rotational motion of objects and how forces interact with them. This knowledge is crucial in various fields such as engineering, mechanics, and robotics.

How do you solve a torque problem?

To solve a torque problem, you need to identify the given values (force, distance, angle) and use the formula: torque = force x distance x sin(angle). Make sure to use the correct units and pay attention to the direction of the force and its resulting torque.

Can you give an example of a torque problem?

Sure, here's an example: A wrench is used to tighten a bolt with a force of 50 N at a distance of 0.2 meters from the axis. What is the resulting torque on the bolt? Using the formula, we get torque = 50 N x 0.2 m x sin(90 degrees) = 10 Nm.

What are some real-life applications of torque problems?

Torque problems have many real-life applications, such as designing machines and tools, calculating the force required for opening/closing doors or lids, and understanding the motion of objects on a seesaw or merry-go-round. They are also used in sports, such as calculating the force needed to swing a golf club or hit a baseball.