What Is the Magnetic Field at the Midpoint Between Wires M and N?

• Thread starter Queue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wires
In summary, the problem involves three parallel wires placed at the corners of an equilateral triangle. The direction of current in wire M is opposite to that in wires N and P. The task is to determine the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field at the midpoint of the side of the triangle between wire M and wire N. Using the equation B = \frac{\mu_0 I}{2 \pi r}, the angle between the side MN and the horizontal line is needed, which can be found by considering the angles of an equilateral triangle. A visual representation of the problem may be helpful in solving it.
Queue

Homework Statement

Three long parallel wires are 4.0 cm from one another. (Looking along them, they are at three corners of an equilateral triangle.) The current in each wire is 8.00 A, but its direction in wire M is opposite to that in wires N and P. By convention we can say that M is at the top of our equilateral triangle and N on the lower left hand corner.

Determine the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field at the midpoint of the side of the triangle between wire M and wire N.

Homework Equations

B = [tex] \frac{\mu_0 I}{2 \pi r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was put these answers into mastering physics and I got the angle wrong. I have tried tan(P/2M) and tan(2M/P) where M and P are the magnetic fields from M and P respectively.

Am I doing something wrong? Its given units are 'degrees below horizontal' and I have no idea what, exactly, is meant by the horizontal. Many thanks for any input!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Queue

I think you are determining the angle of a triangle formed by the perpindicular components (ie from M&N vs P components). These are perpindicular & parrallel to the triangle side MN respectively.

This is the first step, however the question asks the angle form a horizontal line. What is the angle between MN side & the horizontal? (what are the angles of an equilateral triangle?)

drawing a picture is usually always a good idea if you haven't already - cheers

I would first check my calculations and make sure I am using the correct equations and units. I would also double check the given information and make sure I understand the setup of the problem correctly.

In this case, the magnetic field at the midpoint of the side between wire M and N can be calculated by using the equation B = \frac{\mu_0 I}{2 \pi r}, where I is the current in each wire and r is the distance from the midpoint to the wires. Since the wires are parallel, the magnetic field from each wire will be in the same direction and can be added using vector addition.

To determine the direction of the magnetic field, I would use the right hand rule, where I point my thumb in the direction of the current and my fingers curl in the direction of the magnetic field. I would also make sure to use the convention that the current in wire M is opposite to the direction in wires N and P.

If you are still having trouble getting the correct angle, I would suggest checking with your instructor or a classmate for help. It is also important to understand the concept and reasoning behind the solution, rather than just getting the right answer.

Related to What Is the Magnetic Field at the Midpoint Between Wires M and N?

1. What is the purpose of "Treee more long wires" in scientific research?

"Treee more long wires" are often used in electrical experiments to measure and manipulate electrical currents and voltages. They can also be used to transmit signals and data between different components of a system.

2. How are "Treee more long wires" different from regular wires?

"Treee more long wires" are typically longer in length and have a higher gauge (thickness) than regular wires. This makes them better suited for carrying higher voltages and currents without overheating or losing signal strength.

3. Are "Treee more long wires" necessary for all scientific experiments?

No, "Treee more long wires" are not necessary for all scientific experiments. They are primarily used in experiments that involve electricity and electrical components, such as circuits and sensors.

4. How do scientists choose the appropriate "Treee more long wires" for their experiments?

The appropriate "Treee more long wires" for an experiment depend on several factors, including the desired voltage and current levels, the length and distance between components, and the type of signals being transmitted. Scientists may also consider the material, thickness, and other properties of the wires for optimal performance.

5. Can "Treee more long wires" be used in non-scientific applications?

Yes, "Treee more long wires" can also be used in non-scientific applications, such as in electronics, telecommunications, and power distribution systems. They are commonly used in household appliances, computers, and telecommunications networks.