What is the lower bound constraint for G in terms of anthropic principles?

In summary: The paper says that G has to be very close to 1 for a stable burning star. However, increasing G by a factor of 10^5 would not be a problem as long as the other two parameters are kept fixed.In summary, Martin Rees discusses how the strength of gravity likely could not be much stronger than it is, and hints that it could be weaker without much problem. He also discusses a paper that discusses how the strength of gravity likely could not be much stronger than it is, and hints that it could be weaker without much problem.
windy miller
Martin Rees talks about the strength of G in his book Just Six Numbers and how it couldn't be much stronger than it is for life to evolve. However he seems to hint that it could be weaker without much problem. I am wondering if anyone knowns any papers on the lower bound constraint for G in terms of anthropoics. How much lower could G be without it threatening life as we know it?

Space news on Phys.org
I don't think life would need gravity at all to form and evolve. Consider that most early organisms would be neutrally buoyant and suspended in a fluid. If everything including your insides are all neutrally buoyant,are you even aware of gravity?

The lower bounds on gravity probably would have more to do with things unrelated to chemistry. Like for example, planets with less gravity than earth, cool and die much faster (look at Mars.)

Without gravity there would be no stars and no structures at all. We would just have a thin cloud of hydrogen and helium atoms, probably with a few hydrogen molecules.

A lower gravitational constant tends to make gravitationally bound objects larger. For the lifetime of stars there are several competing changes in different directions, hard to tell what would win. Gas giants would be more common compared to rock planets.

Likes QuantumQuest and newjerseyrunner
Oh shoot. I misunderstood the thread. I thought this was a discussion on tiny objects with small g, not the gravitational constant. Disregard my answer entirely.

mfb said:
Without gravity there would be no stars and no structures at all. We would just have a thin cloud of hydrogen and helium atoms, probably with a few hydrogen molecules.

A lower gravitational constant tends to make gravitationally bound objects larger. For the lifetime of stars there are several competing changes in different directions, hard to tell what would win. Gas giants would be more common compared to rock planets.

Thanks MFb, I am wodnerign though how big the constraints are . for example I understood the cosmological constant could be about 5to 10 bigger without it really disrupting life. So is there a lower bound published in the literature for how much weaker gravity could be anthropically?

I don't know specific limits.

A general thing to keep in mind: These limits are typically for "life as we know it". Different parameters could lead to life-like structures that look completely different.

mfb said:
I don't know specific limits.

A general thing to keep in mind: These limits are typically for "life as we know it". Different parameters could lead to life-like structures that look completely different.
I agree, just looking for published material on this questions. But can't seem to find any.

mfb said:
I think even this is hard to imagine. Assuming molecules to exist would require a cosmological model which is consistent with this assumption. It seems that a spacetime without attractive gravity would expand exponentially or would be flat. So, "reheating" with condensation of matter wouldn't happen.

You should always have a few odd neutral hydrogen collisions that form molecules.

mfb said:
You should always have a few odd neutral hydrogen collisions that form molecules.
Do you have a cosmological model (without gravity) in mind according to which hydrogen atoms would be created?

Last edited:
Ah, I guess the early universe would change as well and expand too fast. I was thinking about the universe later.

This thread isn't really about a universe with no gravity but what are the (believed) anthropic constraints on how low G can go ?

One has to be a little careful here. G is a dimensionful constant, and it is frequently set = 1 in Planck units. That of course doesn't mean its SI value is arbitrary, but you have to carefully consider what it is that we are allowed to vary (and what is kept fixed).

There is another dimensionless value called the gravitational coupling constant that might be a better candidate to use, but note there is also a certain arbitrariness in how the mass scale is set.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_coupling_constant

Anyway, having said that whatever candidate you choose (after being careful) can't be zero or negative for obvious reasons.
As far as other constraints, I found a paper:
arXiv:0807.3697
where the author derives a criteria (inequality) for stars to have a stable burning configuration (equation 44) that involves G. This of course is a composite statement (it does not just depend on G, but also involves two other parameters), but you see that there is some wiggle room (you can imagine increasing G by a factor of 10^5 if you keep the other two parameters fixed to their current values).

Likes windy miller

Related to What is the lower bound constraint for G in terms of anthropic principles?

1. What are anthropic constraints on G?

Anthropic constraints on G refer to the idea that the fundamental physical constants of the universe, such as the gravitational constant G, are finely-tuned to allow for the existence of life. This concept is often used in the anthropic principle, which states that the observed values of these constants must be compatible with the existence of observers.

2. How does G affect the formation of stars and galaxies?

G is a crucial factor in the formation and evolution of stars and galaxies. It determines the strength of gravitational attraction between objects, which plays a key role in the collapse of gas clouds to form stars and the formation of galactic structures.

3. Can the value of G change over time?

While there is currently no strong evidence to suggest that the value of G has changed over time, some theories such as varying speed of light (VSL) propose that G and other physical constants may have had different values in the past. However, these theories are still highly debated and have not been widely accepted.

4. How does G affect the expansion of the universe?

G is one of the key factors in determining the rate of expansion of the universe. The value of G, along with the density of matter in the universe, influences the strength of gravitational attraction between objects. This can either slow down or accelerate the expansion of the universe.

5. What are the implications of anthropic constraints on G for the search for extraterrestrial life?

Anthropic constraints on G suggest that the values of physical constants in our universe are highly fine-tuned to allow for the existence of life. This has led some scientists to believe that the chances of finding intelligent life elsewhere in the universe may be slim, as the conditions necessary for life to exist may be rare. However, this is still a highly debated topic and further research is needed.