What is the Lorentz invariance of flux in the stress-energy tensor?

In summary: Lorentz-invariant even though ##p^{\mu}## is itself Lorentz-covariant), so wouldn't it make more sense to define j^{\mu} as a 4-vector and leave it at that?I think it would make more sense to define j^{\mu} as a 4-vector and leave it at that.
dEdt
According to Wikipedia,
The stress–energy tensor is defined as the tensor [itex]T^{\alpha \beta}[/itex] of rank two that gives the flux of the [itex]\alpha[/itex]th component of the momentum vector across a surface with constant [itex]x^\beta[/itex] coordinate.

This definition doesn't sit well with me. Flux is defined as the rate that something passes through an infinitesimal surface, divided by the infinitesimal area of that surface. For example, the current flux (or current density), when dotted with a unit vector, gives the rate that charge passes through an infinitesimal surface with that unit vector, divided by the infinitesimal area.

But "rate" is not Lorentz invariant, because it involves time which is relative. So the definition above seems to be non-Lorentz invariant (or covariant or whatever). Shouldn't this be a problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not it isn't a problem. ##T^{\mu\nu}## is itself Lorentz-covariant and that's all that matters. There's no need for the individual components to be Lorentz-invariant. Does it bother you that the components of the 4-momentum ##p^{\mu}## aren't Lorentz-invariant even though ##p^{\mu}## is itself Lorentz-covariant?

The components of [itex]T^{\alpha \beta}[/itex] don't need to be invariant, as you point out. The vector [itex](T^{0 \beta},T^{1 \beta},T^{2 \beta},T^{3 \beta})[/itex], on the other hand, should be Lorentz covariant. But the above definition ensures that it isn't, because this "vector" equals a 4-vector (the amount of 4-momentum passing through a given surface) divided by dt, which isn't a scalar.

Agreed. I dispute the claim that the stress-energy tensor, at least in the definition above, is constructed exclusively out of scalars and vectors.

dEdt said:
The components of [itex]T^{\alpha \beta}[/itex] don't need to be invariant, as you point out. The vector [itex](T^{0 \beta},T^{1 \beta},T^{2 \beta},T^{3 \beta})[/itex], on the other hand, should be Lorentz covariant.

Not quite. What will be Lorentz covariant is the contraction of the stress-energy tensor with some specific 4-vector. If we call the 4-vector (actually a covector in this case, since you wrote the SET with upper indexes) ##u_{\beta}##, then what will be Lorentz covariant is the 4-vector ##t^{\alpha}## given by

$$
t^{\alpha} = T^{\alpha \beta} u_{\beta}
$$

If you Lorentz transform ##t^{\alpha}##, it transforms like a 4-vector. But if you write out the detailed expression for ##t^{\alpha}##, the factors ##T^{\alpha \beta}## in that expression won't transform individually like a 4-vector; only their products with the appropriate (transformed) components of ##u_{\beta}## will.

In fact, generalizing this observation makes clear what the "components" of a tensor in a given frame actually are; they are contractions of the tensor with the appropriate basis vectors of that frame. So if I pick a particular frame, the component ##T^{12}##, say, in that frame, really means the contraction ##T^{\alpha \beta} \left( \hat{e}_1 \right)_{\alpha} \left( \hat{e}_2 \right)_{\beta}##, where ##\hat{e}_1## and ##\hat{e}_2## are the frame's basis vectors in the "1" and "2" directions. This contraction does indeed describe the flow of "1" momentum across a surface of constant "2" coordinate *in that frame*; and since it's a contraction, it's a Lorentz scalar, so I could compute it, in principle, in any frame, as long as I have expressions, in the frame I'm computing in, for the ##\hat{e}_1## and ##\hat{e}_1## basis vectors of the frame I'm contracting with the tensor.

Changing frames means changing basis vectors, which means if I now want to compute ##T'^{12}## in a new, primed frame, I need to compute a *different* contraction, ##T^{\alpha \beta} \left( \hat{e'}_1 \right)_{\alpha} \left( \hat{e'}_2 \right)_{\beta}##, using the different basis vectors of the new, primed frame. This will also be a Lorentz scalar, but a *different* Lorentz scalar, because I contracted the tensor with different vectors.

Last edited:
dEdt said:
Agreed. I dispute the claim that the stress-energy tensor, at least in the definition above, is constructed exclusively out of scalars and vectors.

I think you misunderstood me. If we have an observer O with 4-velocity ##u^{\mu}## then ##j^{\mu} := T^{\mu}{}{}_{\nu}u^{\nu}## will be Lorentz-covariant because it's built from the contracted indices of a 4-tensor and a 4-vector. This physically corresponds to the energy-momentum density of the matter field represented by ##T^{\mu\nu}## as measured by O.

PeterDonis said:
... then what will be Lorentz covariant is the 4-vector ##t^{\alpha}## given by

$$
t^{\alpha} = T^{\alpha \beta} u_{\beta}
$$

Yes, of course you're correct. That was a silly mistake on my part.
WannabeNewton said:
I think you misunderstood me. If we have an observer O with 4-velocity ##u^{\mu}## then ##j^{\mu} := T^{\mu}{}{}_{\nu}u^{\nu}## will be Lorentz-covariant because it's built from the contracted indices of a 4-tensor and a 4-vector. This physically corresponds to the energy-momentum density of the matter field represented by ##T^{\mu\nu}## as measured by O.

What you're saying makes much more sense now.

Basically, my question reduces to this: [itex]j^{\mu} := T^{\mu}{}{}_{\nu}u^{\nu}[/itex] has to be a 4-vector, because that's how tensors work. But we're also defining [itex]j^{\mu}[/itex] as "the flux of the [itex]\alpha[/itex]th component of the momentum vector across a surface" (equating the two [itex]j^{\mu}[/itex]s allows us to find [itex]T^{\mu}_{\nu}[/itex]), and I'm surprised this second definition makes a 4-vector as well, as it must if our definition of the stress energy tensor is consistent.

Last edited:
Are you familiar with the 4-current density ##j^{\mu}## from electromagnetism? (Sorry about using the same symbol but it's standard notation)

Do you understand why this is a valid 4-vector? If so, the case with the energy-momentum tensor is entirely analogous.

Actually, while I am familiar with the 4-current density I don't understand why it's a valid 4-vector.

The 4-current density ##j_\mu## (I prefer treating it as a dual vector) is defined such that if ##n^\mu## is unit vector, then ##j_\mu n^\mu = \textrm{rate that charge passes through an infinitesimal surface with unit vector }n^\mu \textrm{ divided by }\delta A##. It isn't intuitively obvious that the right hand side of this equation is a scalar.

This looks like a good spot to post a few of the diagrams I've been working on:

I am drawing 2-d space-time diagrams for a 2-d ideal gas, made up of collisionless particles. You can think of the diagram as one line per particle, or a scaled diagram as one line per n particles. A real gas would have velocities in random directions, but one can "group" the flows of the same velocity into a sub-diagram, compute the contribution of the sub-diagram to the total flow, then add all the sub-flows together to get the total flow.

(Sorry if this isn't clear - it invites a few new diagrams, but I'm not sure when I'll have time to get around to them).

This ideal gas has a 2-d stress energy tensor, with 4 components:

##T^{00}## the flow of energy in the t-direction, ##T^{01}##, the flow of energy in the x-direction, ## T^{10}##, the flow of momentum in the t-directoin, and ## T^{11}##, the flow of momentum in the x direciton.One can add collisions into gas without much difficulty if they happen at a point, but getting into that would be a needless distraction at this point.

Each particle can be assumed to carry some momentum and energy along its worldine.

Let's start with the flow of "stuff" in the t direction:

As you'll see the "rate" of flow in the t direction is the amount of stuff normalized to a unit length, not a unit time. So the flows in the t-direction are spatial densities - they aren't rates. To address an objection previously raised.

"Stuff" is deliberately vague. It could be the flow of worldlines themselves (which makes up the number-flux 4-vector)

For more on the number-flux 4-vector see http://web.mit.edu/edbert/GR/gr2b.pdf

The flow of "stuff" can also be the flow of energy and momentum, which is what we need for the stress-energy tensor. Each particle in the diagram is assumed to have a certain momentum and energy, to get the flow of energy you multiply the flow of worldlines by the energy per woldline, to get the flow of momentum y ou multiply the flow of worldlines by the momentum per worldline.

attachment.php?attachmentid=65501&d=1389397280.png

Next up - flows in the "x" direction.

attachment.php?attachmentid=65728&d=1389931424%20.png

When you do a Lorentz transform, the relevant quantities are the flow of "stuff" in the t' direction, and the x' direction. These directions are not the same as the t and x direction. So you have to transform the flows. Additionally, if you are computing flows of energy and momentum for the stress-energy tensor, you need to transform the energy and momentum relativistically, as well as the flows.

I had another diagram that illustrated how to transform the flows, but it appears to have fallen victim to a power outage. Basically, though, if you know the flows in the t and x directions, a linear combination of the two will give you the flows in the t' and x' directions, as long as your flows are conserved flows.

Attachments

• flows.x.png
    flows.x.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 639

Related to What is the Lorentz invariance of flux in the stress-energy tensor?

What is the stress-energy tensor in Special Relativity (SR)?

The stress-energy tensor is a mathematical quantity used in the theory of Special Relativity to describe the distribution of energy and momentum in a given region of spacetime. It is a 4x4 matrix that contains 16 components, representing the energy density, momentum density, and stress components in three spatial dimensions and one time dimension.

What does the stress-energy tensor represent?

The stress-energy tensor represents the energy and momentum of matter and fields in a specific region of spacetime. It describes how these quantities are distributed and how they change over time. It is a crucial component in Einstein's field equations, which govern the behavior of spacetime in the presence of matter and energy.

How is the stress-energy tensor related to Einstein's field equations?

The stress-energy tensor is one of the sources of the gravitational field in Einstein's field equations. It represents the matter and energy content of a given region of spacetime and determines how it curves. The other source is the cosmological constant, which represents the overall energy density of the universe.

What are some applications of the stress-energy tensor?

The stress-energy tensor has many applications in theoretical physics and cosmology. It is used to study the behavior of matter and energy in extreme conditions, such as black holes and the early universe. It is also essential in the study of gravitational waves, which are ripples in the fabric of spacetime caused by massive objects moving at high speeds.

How is the stress-energy tensor calculated?

The stress-energy tensor is calculated using the energy-momentum tensor, which describes the total energy and momentum of a system. It is derived from the Lagrangian density, a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a physical system. The stress-energy tensor is then obtained by taking the derivative of the energy-momentum tensor with respect to spacetime coordinates.