What is the Limit at Infinity for (2^x-5^x) / (3^x+5^x)?

In summary, the limit of the given expression as x approaches infinity is -1, which corresponds to choice a. The solution involves rewriting the numerator and denominator in terms of common factors and using the property of limits for exponential functions.
terryds

Homework Statement

30uqyoh.png

lim x->∞ (2^x-5^x) / (3^x+5^x)

Choices :

a. -1
b. -2/3
c. 1
d. 6
e. 25

2. The attempt at a solution

Hmmm.. I really have no idea about this.. This is an unusual problem..
Please tell me...

Physics news on Phys.org
terryds said:

Homework Statement

30uqyoh.png

lim x->∞ (2^x-5^x) / (3^x+5^x)

Choices :

a. -1
b. -2/3
c. 1
d. 6
e. 25

2. The attempt at a solution

Hmmm.. I really have no idea about this.. This is an unusual problem..
Please tell me...
Try dividing numerator and denominator by something.

Hint: nominator can be written as ##5^x((\frac{2}{5})^x-1)##. Also denominator can be written in a very similar way. Also i think you know that for any ##0<a<1## it is ##\lim\limits_{x \to +\infty}a^x=0##. If you use all this info i believe you should be able to find the correct answer.

Likes terryds
Raghav Gupta said:
Try dividing numerator and denominator by something.
Hmm..
I have no idea..
By what something ?
If I divide numerator and denominator by x, it will just make things more complicated
Since the 2^x/x can't be simplified more... (The bad thing is the x is the exponent, not in the number)

terryds said:
Hmm..
I have no idea..
By what something ?
If I divide numerator and denominator by x, it will just make things more complicated
Since the 2^x/x can't be simplified more... (The bad thing is the x is the exponent, not in the number)
Use Delta2 hints and try writing the denominator.

Likes terryds
Delta² said:
Hint: nominator can be written as ##5^x((\frac{2}{5})^x-1)##. Also denominator can be written in a very similar way. Also i think you know that for any ##0<a<1## it is ##\lim\limits_{x \to +\infty}a^x=0##. If you use all this info i believe you should be able to find the correct answer.

lim x->∞ 5^x((2/5)^x-1) / (5^x ((3/5)^x + 1))
lim x->∞ (2/5)^x - 1 / ((3/5)^x + 1)
-1/1 = -1

Okay, I've got that the answer is a. -1
Yeah, thanks for your hint :smile:

Notice that this was the same as "divide both numerator and denominator by [itex]5^x[/itex]".

Related to What is the Limit at Infinity for (2^x-5^x) / (3^x+5^x)?

What is a limit at infinity problem?

A limit at infinity problem is a type of mathematical limit that involves finding the value that a function approaches as its input or independent variable becomes infinitely large.

How is a limit at infinity problem different from a regular limit problem?

A limit at infinity problem differs from a regular limit problem in that the input or independent variable approaches infinity instead of a specific value. This requires a different approach and set of techniques to solve.

What is the significance of solving a limit at infinity problem?

Solving a limit at infinity problem is important in understanding the behavior of a function as its input becomes increasingly large. It can also help in making predictions and analyzing real-world situations that involve very large values.

What are some common techniques for solving a limit at infinity problem?

Some common techniques for solving a limit at infinity problem include using L'Hôpital's rule, factoring, rationalizing, and identifying dominant terms in polynomials. Other techniques such as substitution and using trigonometric identities may also be useful in certain cases.

Are there any limitations to solving a limit at infinity problem?

While there are many techniques for solving a limit at infinity problem, there are some cases where a limit may not exist or be indeterminate. In these situations, further analysis or alternative methods may be necessary to find a solution.