What is the Lightest and Strongest 3D printing material?

In summary, the author is looking for a durable yet very light 3D printing material. He found a product called Form Futura Carbon Fiber PLA, which has the advantages of being strong and light. However, he is concerned about the material's abrasion factor. He also recommends contacting Taulman filaments, as they have a range of materials that are strong without being brittle.
Ryan Walsh
Looking for Something durable yet Very Light 3D printing material.

I googled and Found A product.

http://www.mes3dfilaments.co.uk/product/form-futura-carbonfil

Carbon Fiber PLA..

Any other suggestions? For application for small wind turbine propellers

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ryan Walsh said:
Looking for Something durable yet Very Light 3D printing material.

I googled and Found A product.

http://www.mes3dfilaments.co.uk/product/form-futura-carbonfil

Carbon Fiber PLA..

Any other suggestions? For application for small wind turbine propellers
Beyond the material choice, what are you doing in your mechanical design of the blades to make them light and strong? That's one of the advantages of 3-D printing -- you can do lots of honeycombing and internal structures/voids to lighten and strengthen...

berkeman said:
Beyond the material choice, what are you doing in your mechanical design of the blades to make them light and strong? That's one of the advantages of 3-D printing -- you can do lots of honeycombing and internal structures/voids to lighten and strengthen...
of course! just concerned about material right now.

This is completely strange and eerie, but whatever. I don't think I did a Google search on the words in your post looking to help you, but I must have because when I logged on just now, Google popped up this website advertisement:

http://www.shapeways.com/product/ZR...oll&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=fbdynamic

There is a material selection pulldown box on the right side of the page. Dunno if that helps. Google cookies are everywhere... (luckily this time they are benign and maybe helpful)...

Ahhh so you saying the advertisements are pointing you in the right direction. Sounds like a conspiracy I will have a Look. Thank you!

Likes berkeman
Be careful with exotic filaments like Carbon Fiber.
They have an abrasion factor that can permanently foul your Head. Check with your Printer manufacturer to approve filaments, especially if you are still under warranty.
The strongest and lightest I have found is clear (pigments can weaken) PETg. It takes some trial an error to get settings right specific to unique characteristics of a geometry (shape).

s.

I was thinking yesterday. About the man who tried to infuse aerogel with pla or something like that. to create a light printable material. I remember him saying that it was impossible to print with.

PETg sounds good I've mostly been just working with the pla and abs.. I do have carbon fiber and a lot of other materials for testing. I am pretty sure petg will work for the Tronxy x3a think i seen many print with it

Thank you for your followup I will see if this is a lighter material than pla

Ryan Walsh said:
I was thinking yesterday. About the man who tried to infuse aerogel with pla or something like that. to create a light printable material. I remember him saying that it was impossible to print with.

PETg sounds good I've mostly been just working with the pla and abs.. I do have carbon fiber and a lot of other materials for testing. I am pretty sure petg will work for the Tronxy x3a think i seen many print with it

Thank you for your followup I will see if this is a lighter material than pla
Contact Taulman filaments. They have nylon based and other materials that are super strong without being brittle. There is a range of characteristics in their product line. Many manufacturerers filaments vary in quality from batch to batch which raises havoc trying to find the right settings. If you keep Taulman products reasonably humidity free, they are super consistent.

Steven Bolgiano said:
Contact Taulman filaments. They have nylon based and other materials that are super strong without being brittle. There is a range of characteristics in their product line. Many manufacturerers filaments vary in quality from batch to batch which raises havoc trying to find the right settings. If you keep Taulman products reasonably humidity free, they are super consistent.

Thanks Steve. I will look into them. At the moment I am not to worried about light material, PLA is pretty light and strong enough. PLA doesn't have much grams to it. Although the lighter the better for my experimental work. (Not for drones and such).

Carbon fiber PLA isn't very strong since the carbon fiber is just small pieces. It's only as strong as the PLA.

I sell 3D printers for industrial applications
for follows function and i suspect fiber glass is a good media for stresses you will encounter
you can buy a good carbon fiber printer cheap
other print in fiberglass, kevlar and high temp fiberglass or you may want to spend mucho dollars for metal printers but way over kill for wind turbine

Related to What is the Lightest and Strongest 3D printing material?

What is the lightest 3D printing material?

The lightest 3D printing material is currently graphene aerogel. It is made up of 99.8% air and has a density of only 0.16 mg/cm³.

What is the strongest 3D printing material?

The strongest 3D printing material is carbon fiber reinforced polymers. They have a high strength-to-weight ratio and are commonly used in aerospace and automotive industries.

What makes a 3D printing material strong?

A 3D printing material's strength is determined by its ability to resist forces without breaking or deforming. This is influenced by factors such as the material's composition, structure, and manufacturing process.

Can a 3D printed material be both lightweight and strong?

Yes, it is possible for a 3D printed material to be both lightweight and strong. Materials like carbon fiber reinforced polymers and graphene aerogel are good examples of this.

What are some other lightweight and strong 3D printing materials?

Aside from graphene aerogel and carbon fiber reinforced polymers, other lightweight and strong 3D printing materials include titanium alloys, aluminum alloys, and high-performance plastics like PEEK and ULTEM.