What is the latest research on the Cosmic Neutrino Background?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for recent articles and developments in cosmology, particularly in relation to the cosmic neutrino background (CNB). The SPIRES database is recommended as a useful resource for finding relevant papers. The difficulty of measuring the CNB due to neutrinos' low interaction with matter is mentioned, and the potential insights it could provide about the early universe. The conversation also touches on different models' predictions about the CNB and shares a recent paper discussing neutrino effects in the early universe. The article "Heart of the Matter" is mentioned as a current and informative resource on the topic.
Mordred
I'm currently reading a cosmology book, the book is 4 years old. I am looking for more recent articles and developments on the subject. This is in the nature of supportive study material.

Space news on Phys.org
Check out the SPIRES database at http://inspirehep.net/.
This listing is returned when I search for 'find t cosmic neutrino background'.

SPIRES is one of the leading databases of HEP, cosmology, and astrophysics papers on the web. It includes preprints as well, so you shouldn't need to search arXiv separately.

This is a good pResentation on the CNB .
www-physics.lbl.gov/seminars/old/Petr_Vogel.pdf
My understanding is that this would be extremley difficult to measure as neutrinos interact hardly at all with matter. But if we could iT would mean we had a probe of the universe when it was only a few seconds old. The Cmb shows us the uuniverse 380k years after the big bang. So it would be extremley interesting . I would like to know if different models of inflation or of pre big bang cosmology make different predictions about the CNB. Anyone know this?

Last edited:
Thanks for the links I haven't seen any related predictions but wouldn't be surprised if their are some

Last edited:
Here is a recent [like today] paper discussing neutrino effects in the early universe, What is half a neutrino? Reviewing cosmological constraints on neutrinos and dark radiation - http://arxiv.org/abs/1301.7102

That was a very informative article. Answered a few questions I had relating to the book I'm reading. Unfortunately I cannot answer what half a neutrino means lol.

See this current (26 January 2013) article “Heart of the Matter”
Neutrinos’ shifty behavior might help explain why the universe has so much stuff in it. (p. 18)

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/issue/id/347532/title/January_26_2013_Vol183_2

Related to What is the latest research on the Cosmic Neutrino Background?

1. What is the cosmic neutrino background?

The cosmic neutrino background is a sea of low energy, near massless particles called neutrinos that are present throughout the universe. These particles were created during the early stages of the universe, and are remnants of the Big Bang.

2. How were cosmic neutrinos formed?

Cosmic neutrinos were formed when the universe was only a few seconds old. During this time, the extreme temperatures and densities allowed for the creation of neutrinos through various nuclear reactions. As the universe expanded and cooled, these neutrinos were able to travel freely throughout the universe.

3. Can cosmic neutrinos be detected?

Yes, cosmic neutrinos can be detected, but it is very difficult to do so. Neutrinos are electrically neutral and have very little mass, making them hard to detect using traditional methods. Scientists use large detectors, such as the IceCube Neutrino Observatory, to capture and study cosmic neutrinos.

4. What can we learn from studying the cosmic neutrino background?

Studying the cosmic neutrino background can provide us with valuable information about the early universe and the processes that occurred during its formation. It can also help us better understand the properties and behavior of neutrinos, which can have implications for particle physics and astrophysics.

5. Is the cosmic neutrino background the same everywhere in the universe?

Yes, the cosmic neutrino background is believed to be uniform throughout the universe. This is because neutrinos are not affected by magnetic fields or other forces, so they are able to travel freely and maintain a consistent distribution. However, slight variations in the background may occur due to the density and distribution of matter in the universe.