What is the largest number of SO3 molecules

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter foleyt70
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molecules
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of limiting reagents in chemical reactions. The first question involves determining the limiting reagent in a given reaction with given amounts of reactants. The second question asks for the maximum number of product molecules that can be formed with a given amount of reactants. The key to solving both problems is to use the starting material to determine the limiting reagent.
foleyt70
okay. i have a test in chemistry tomorrow and I've been studying forever but I am really having trouble with some problems on the study guide. for example, one of the problems is 1) consider the reaction
Mg(s)+I2(s)---->MgI2(s) Under which of the following reaction conditions will Mg be the limiting reagent?

how would i go to do that? i know the answer is a) 200 atoms of Mg and 300 molecules of I2 and B) .16 mol Mg and .25 mol I2 but only because someone told me

2) Consider the reaction
2 SO2 + 02 ---> 2SO3
What is the largest number of SO3 molecules which could be made from 381 SO2 molecules and 185 O2 molecules?

Physics news on Phys.org
Both of these questions are the same, just use your starting material and find out how much of the product you will form. The one that forms the least is the Limiting reagent.

Also, for question 1. Are you given actual starting material?

no for question one you aren't given actual starting material.. but like for question 2, how do you get molecules to like grams? or do i not have to?

Related to What is the largest number of SO3 molecules

1. What is the largest number of SO3 molecules?

The largest number of SO3 molecules is determined by Avogadro's constant, which is approximately 6.022 x 10^23 molecules per mole. Therefore, the largest number of SO3 molecules that can exist is 6.022 x 10^23 molecules.

2. How is the number of SO3 molecules calculated?

The number of SO3 molecules can be calculated by dividing the given mass of SO3 by its molar mass, which is approximately 80.06 g/mol. This will give the number of moles of SO3, which can then be multiplied by Avogadro's constant to find the number of molecules.

3. Can there be a larger number of SO3 molecules than Avogadro's number?

No, Avogadro's constant is a fundamental physical constant and represents the number of particles in one mole of a substance. It is a fixed value and cannot be surpassed.

4. Is there any practical limit to the number of SO3 molecules?

Yes, there is a practical limit to the number of SO3 molecules that can exist in a given space. This is determined by the volume and pressure of the space, as well as the temperature and other physical factors. At a certain point, the molecules will become too crowded and will not be able to exist in the space.

5. Can the number of SO3 molecules change?

The number of SO3 molecules can change through chemical reactions. When SO3 reacts with other substances, it can form new compounds and the number of SO3 molecules may decrease. Additionally, physical processes such as evaporation and condensation can also cause changes in the number of SO3 molecules in a given space.