What is the Lagrange Point Between Jupiter and the Sun for a Space Probe?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the distance a space probe must be from Jupiter along a line toward the Sun in order for the Sun's gravitational pull on the probe to balance Jupiter's pull. The formula m1/r2=m2/((2.78e11)-r)squared is mentioned, but the speaker is having trouble getting the correct answer. They suggest checking the units and expanding the square in the denominator correctly. The conversation also mentions the average distance from Jupiter to the Sun being 779e6km and the possibility of the question asking for the distance when Jupiter is farthest or closest to the Sun.
Forceflow
How far from Jupiter must a space probe be along a line toward the Sun so that the Sun's gravitational pull on the probe balances Jupiter's pull?

i know that i need to use m1/r2=m2/((2.78e-11)-r)squared
but my answers keep coming out wrong. For an answer, i got 2.4e7 km

Physics news on Phys.org
can someone help me?

Forceflow said:
How far from Jupiter must a space probe be along a line toward the Sun so that the Sun's gravitational pull on the probe balances Jupiter's pull?

i know that i need to use m1/r2=m2/((2.78e-11)-r)squared
but my answers keep coming out wrong. For an answer, i got 2.4e7 km
If 2.78e11 is the distance from the sun to Jupiter and m1 and m2 are the masses of the sun and Jupiter, you should be OK. Do you have the right units? Did you expand the square in the denominator correctly? Is that a negative exponent e-11? Surely it should not be.

Last edited:
yes, I'm sure i have the units correct. Its possible that the mean distance to the sun from Jupiter is 778e6.

Forceflow said:
yes, I'm sure i have the units correct. Its possible that the mean distance to the sun from Jupiter is 778e6.
I just looked it up and averaged the max and min and got 779e6Km.

http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/jupiter/statistics.html

So I guess what you meant the first time was 7.78e11m rather tha 2.78e-11m. With this distance you should be getting a reasonable answer if the question is looking for the average. If its asking for the distance when Jupiter is foarthest from the sun, or perhaps closest, then obviouly the average will not do.

Related to What is the Lagrange Point Between Jupiter and the Sun for a Space Probe?

1. What is a space probe?

A space probe is a robotic spacecraft designed to explore and gather information about objects in outer space. These objects can include planets, moons, asteroids, and comets.

2. How do space probes work?

Space probes are equipped with various instruments such as cameras, spectrometers, and sensors that collect data and transmit it back to Earth. They are powered by solar panels or nuclear power sources and are controlled by ground-based operators.

3. What is the purpose of a space probe?

The purpose of a space probe is to gather information and data about objects in outer space, which helps us to better understand the universe and our place in it. This information can also contribute to advancements in technology and space exploration.

4. How are space probes launched?

Space probes are launched into space using rockets. The type of rocket used depends on the destination and mission of the space probe. Some probes are launched directly into their designated orbit, while others use gravitational assists from other planets to reach their destination.

5. What are some famous space probes?

Some famous space probes include Voyager 1 and 2, which have explored the outer planets and are now in interstellar space, and New Horizons, which flew by Pluto in 2015. Other notable probes include Cassini, which studied Saturn and its moons, and Curiosity, which is currently exploring Mars.