What is the job prospect for M.E's

• Thread starter Isaac1720
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary, the conversation discusses the concern about the need for mechanical engineering and the possibility of it dying. The speaker mentions reading reports about the topic, but argues that mechanical engineering is still in demand, citing examples such as the Pioneering Spirit ship. They also suggest considering mechatronics as an alternative field of study.
Isaac1720
hi guys, I just need a little bit of advice. so I plan on going to college for mechanical engineering. but I have been reading reports that say that mechanical engineering is not needed or is dying. Is it worth it to pursue the degree in mechanical engineering? what alternatives could there be?

Physics news on Phys.org
Isaac1720 said:
I have been reading reports that say that mechanical engineering is not needed or is dying.
Who writes such untruths? As long as there is demand for masterpieces like this one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneering_Spirit_(ship)

I believe mechanical engineering is very much alive. Of course there are many other examples, ranging over multiple orders of magnitude. If during your studies you feel inclined to broaden your scope, you may find mechatronics interesting.

Related to What is the job prospect for M.E's

1. What industries can mechanical engineers work in?

Mechanical engineers have a wide variety of industries to choose from, including automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, energy, and construction. They can also work in research and development, consulting, and government agencies.

2. Are there job opportunities for mechanical engineers?

Yes, there are plenty of job opportunities for mechanical engineers. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of mechanical engineers is projected to grow 4% from 2019 to 2029, which is about as fast as the average for all occupations.

3. What skills are important for a successful career as a mechanical engineer?

Some important skills for mechanical engineers include problem-solving, critical thinking, creativity, communication, and technical knowledge. They also need to be detail-oriented, able to work well in teams, and have a strong understanding of math and science.

4. What qualifications do I need to become a mechanical engineer?

To become a mechanical engineer, you typically need a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or a related field. Some employers may also require a master's degree or a professional engineering license. Internships and co-op experiences can also help in gaining practical experience.

5. How much can I expect to earn as a mechanical engineer?

The median annual wage for mechanical engineers was $88,430 in May 2019, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. However, salaries can vary depending on experience, industry, and location. Mechanical engineers with advanced degrees or specialized skills may also earn higher salaries.