What is the Intuitive Explanation for the Definition of Convergence?

In summary, the definition of convergence for a sequence is that for every epsilon greater than 0, there exists a natural number N such that for all natural numbers n greater than N, the absolute value of the difference between the sequence and the limit is less than epsilon. An example of this would be the sequence a_n = 1/n, which converges to 0 as n approaches infinity. The intuition behind this definition is that no matter how small we make an open ball around the limit, we can always fit in all but a finite number of elements of the sequence into this open ball, making it clear and intuitive.
Astrum
I'm a bit confused about how my book defines convergence.

Definition: A sequence {an} convergences to l if for every ε > 0 there is a natural number N such that, for all natural numbers n, if n > N, then l a,-l l < ε

note, l a,-l l = the absolute value

Maybe someone could give me an example? The definition seems incomplete. This is essentially like an epsilon-delta proof for limits, right?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's quite similar to epsilon-delta proofs, except there's no delta because the domain of a sequence is limited to integer values of ##n##, so there is no notion of choosing points in the domain arbitrarily close to some ##n##. But we can still talk about what happens when ##n## becomes large.

A simple example would be ##a_n = 1/n##. This converges to the limit ##L = 0## as ##n \rightarrow \infty##. To prove this using the definition, let ##\epsilon > 0##. Since ##\epsilon## is positive, I can get a number as large as I like by multiplying ##\epsilon## by a sufficiently large integer. In particular, there is some integer ##N## for which ##N \epsilon > 1##. Dividing both sides by ##N##, this is equivalent to ##\frac{1}{N} < \epsilon##. Furthermore, for any ##n \geq N##, we have ##\frac{1}{n} \leq \frac{1}{N} < \epsilon##. Therefore,
$$|a_n - L| = \left| \frac{1}{n} - 0 \right| = \left| \frac{1}{n} \right| = \frac{1}{n} < \epsilon$$
for all ##n \geq N##. We conclude that ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_n = L##, i.e. ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{n} = 0##.

Thanks, I understand the how but I'm still a bit lost on the why. I'll review epsilon delta proofs again.

I understand the mechanism now, but the intuition is evading me. Hm, I'll have to give it some more thought.

One intuition I like to use is to think of it in terms of open balls (in fact in topology, where you have no metric, the definition of convergence is given entirely in terms of neighborhoods and it makes it more intuitive imo). Let's say our sequence is ##(x_n)## and ##x_n\rightarrow x\in \mathbb{R}##. So what is that definition of convergence really saying?

Well first take any ##\epsilon >0## and consider the open ball ##B(x,\epsilon )##. We should be able to fit all but a finite number of elements of the sequence into this open ball i.e. there should exist an ##N\in \mathbb{N}## such that for all ##n\geq N##, ##x_n\in B(x,\epsilon )##. So what does it really mean for this sequence to converge to ##x## then? It means that no matter how small an open ball you make around ##x##, I can always fit in all but a finite number of elements of the sequence into this open ball. So you can picture making the open ball smaller and smaller and smaller still but always being able to fit in all but a finite number of said elements into the open ball. This, for me, makes it geometrically clear what the usual epsilon definition is saying. It also motivates the more general topological definition.

WannabeNewton said:
One intuition I like to use is to think of it in terms of open balls (in fact in topology, where you have no metric, the definition of convergence is given entirely in terms of neighborhoods and it makes it more intuitive imo). Let's say our sequence is ##(x_n)## and ##x_n\rightarrow x\in \mathbb{R}##. So what is that definition of convergence really saying?

Well first take any ##\epsilon >0## and consider the open ball ##B(x,\epsilon )##. We should be able to fit all but a finite number of elements of the sequence into this open ball i.e. there should exist an ##N\in \mathbb{N}## such that for all ##n\geq N##, ##x_n\in B(x,\epsilon )##. So what does it really mean for this sequence to converge to ##x## then? It means that no matter how small an open ball you make around ##x##, I can always fit in all but a finite number of elements of the sequence into this open ball. So you can picture making the open ball smaller and smaller and smaller still but always being able to fit in all but a finite number of said elements into the open ball. This, for me, makes it geometrically clear what the usual epsilon definition is saying. It also motivates the more general topological definition.

Aha, I think I get you. Although I had to look up what a "ball" was. Many thanks!

Related to What is the Intuitive Explanation for the Definition of Convergence?

1. What is the Definition of Convergence?

The definition of convergence refers to the process of coming together or merging. In science, it typically describes the tendency of different species, populations, or traits to become more similar over time as they adapt to similar environments.

2. How does Convergence occur in evolution?

In evolution, convergence occurs when unrelated species evolve similar traits due to similar environmental pressures. This can result in similar physical characteristics or behaviors, even though the species do not share a recent common ancestor.

3. What is the difference between Convergence and Divergence?

Convergence and divergence are two opposite processes in evolution. While convergence leads to similar traits in unrelated species, divergence leads to the development of different traits in related species due to differences in their environments.

4. Can Convergence occur at different levels of biological organization?

Yes, convergence can occur at different levels of biological organization, such as at the molecular, cellular, or organismal levels. For example, different species may evolve similar molecular mechanisms to cope with similar environmental stressors.

5. How is Convergence studied in science?

Convergence is studied through various methods, including comparative anatomy, genetics, and experimental evolution. By comparing the traits of different species and analyzing their genetic similarities, scientists can determine if convergence has occurred and how it has influenced the evolution of these species.