What is the Internal Resistance of a Practical Current Source?

In summary, adding a 1.2 kilo-ohms resistance to the terminals of a certain current source resulted in a decrease in the ammeter reading from 11.988 mA to 11.889 mA. This allows for the determination of i_s and R_s, which together make up a practical current source. The internal resistance R_s is represented as a resistor in parallel with the "ideal" current source.
Salman
PROBLEM:the current at the terminals of a certain current source is measured with an ammeter having an internal resistance [tex]R_i=10 ohms[/tex] and is found to be [tex]11.988 mA[/tex] ;adding a [tex]1.2 kilo -ohms[/tex] resistance between the source terminals causes the ammeter reading to drop to [tex]11.889 mA[/tex].Find [tex]i_s[/tex] and [tex]R_s[/tex]

NOTE:[tex]i_s[/tex] and [tex]R_s[/tex] constitute a practical current source.i.e [tex]R_s[/tex] is the internalresistance of the source [tex]i_s[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
For a practical current source, the internal resistance should be shown as a resistor parallel to the "ideal" current source.

Misplaced homework thread closed for Moderation...

Oh duh, this is a way old problem that got put in the Open Practice Problems forum. Dave, I don't think the OP is going to read our replies...

Likes scottdave
Ha, I just realized what the date was on that.

Related to What is the Internal Resistance of a Practical Current Source?

1. What is a circuit analysis problem?

A circuit analysis problem is a type of problem in electrical engineering where you are given a circuit diagram and asked to determine the behavior of the circuit. This can involve calculating voltage, current, power, or other parameters at different points in the circuit.

2. How do I approach solving a circuit analysis problem?

The first step in solving a circuit analysis problem is to carefully analyze the circuit diagram and identify all components, such as resistors, capacitors, and voltage sources. From there, you can use Ohm's Law and other fundamental principles to calculate the desired parameters.

3. What are the key principles I need to know for circuit analysis?

To successfully solve a circuit analysis problem, you should have a strong understanding of Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Laws, and other basic principles of electricity and circuits. It is also important to be familiar with different types of circuits, such as series and parallel circuits.

4. What tools can I use to assist in solving a circuit analysis problem?

There are several tools that can make solving a circuit analysis problem easier, such as circuit simulation software, multimeters, and circuit analysis calculators. These tools can help you quickly and accurately calculate voltage, current, and other parameters in a circuit.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a circuit analysis problem?

One common mistake in circuit analysis is forgetting to consider the direction of current flow and using incorrect signs in calculations. It is also important to check your work and ensure that all components and connections are properly accounted for. Lastly, it is crucial to use the correct units in your calculations and pay attention to significant figures.