What is the intensity of an electromagnetic radiation?

In summary, to compute the intensity of an electromagnetic radiation, you need to know the electric and magnetic field components at a certain point, and then use the Poynting flux formula to calculate the energy per unit area per unit time.
ecastro
How can I compute the intensity of an electromagnetic radiation if I know ##e_x, e_y, e_z, h_x, h_y,## and ##h_z##, where ##e_i## is the electric field component at ##i## and ##h_i## is the magnetic field component, also at ##i##?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
jtbell said:
See the discussion of Poynting flux at about the middle of this page:

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/node89.html

I assume that by "intensity" you mean energy transported by the radiation per unit area per unit time, e.g. J/(m2·s) = W/m2.
The intensity here is the amount of radiation received by a detector. Is it the same as the radiation per unit area per unit time?

If you want the amount of energy received by a detector that has a certain area, during a certain amount of time, then you multiply the Poynting flux (as given on that page) by the area and the time.

Related to What is the intensity of an electromagnetic radiation?

What is the intensity of an electromagnetic radiation?

The intensity of an electromagnetic radiation refers to the amount of energy carried by the radiation per unit area per unit time. It is a measure of how strong the radiation is at a given point in space.

How is the intensity of electromagnetic radiation measured?

The intensity of electromagnetic radiation can be measured using a device called a radiometer. This device detects the amount of radiation and converts it into an electrical signal, which can then be measured.

What factors affect the intensity of electromagnetic radiation?

The intensity of electromagnetic radiation can be affected by several factors, including the distance from the source, the size and power of the source, and the wavelength of the radiation. In addition, the medium through which the radiation is traveling can also affect its intensity.

What are some examples of electromagnetic radiation?

Some examples of electromagnetic radiation include visible light, radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. Each type of radiation has a different wavelength and energy, which affects its intensity.

Why is understanding the intensity of electromagnetic radiation important?

Understanding the intensity of electromagnetic radiation is important because it can have significant impacts on our health and the environment. For example, exposure to high levels of radiation can be harmful to living organisms, while low levels of radiation are necessary for important processes such as photosynthesis.