What is the initial velocity of a ball falling in Earth's gravity?

• Thread starter Orson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: If ##a## is indeed an arbitrary constant, then inserting a factor of ##1/2## in front of ##a## in the equation for ##S(t)## will fix the contradiction.
Orson

Homework Statement

The distance S(t) from the ground of a ball falling in the Earth's gravity after being thrown upward with certain initial velocity of 2 ft/sec at the height of 5 feet can be written as:

S(t) = at^2 + 2t + c

Verify whether S(t) given correctly indicate the initial velocity of 2 ft/sec

Homework Equations

S(t) = at^2 + 2t + c

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the derivative of S(t) = at^2 + 2t + c and got 2at + 2. Plugging in zero for t we get 2. (I am assuming initial velocity is at t=0?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the initial velocity is generally taken to be:

##v_0=v(0)=s'(0)##

Likes Orson
But what happens when you take the second derivative?

MarkFL said:
Yes, the initial velocity is generally taken to be:

##v_0=v(0)=s'(0)##
Assuming only gravity is acting on the falling ball, find the value of a. I think it would be -9.81?

This is actually a calculus 1 class and i have very little physics knowledge, but i filed it here as it involves physics/
NFuller said:
But what happens when you take the second derivative?
2a.

Orson said:
2a.
Right, so is the equation written correctly?

Orson said:
Assuming only gravity is acting on the falling ball, find the value of a. I think it would be -9.81?

This is actually a calculus 1 class and i have very little physics knowledge, but i filed it here as it involves physics/

2a.
9.81x3.2

NFuller said:
Right, so is the equation written correctly?
not sure what you mean.

Orson said:
not sure what you mean.
The definition of acceleration is
$$a=\frac{d^2}{dt^2}S(t)$$
When you took the second derivative of ##S(t)## you got
$$\frac{d^2}{dt^2}S(t)=2a$$
So is the equation for ##S(t)## valid?

NFuller said:
The definition of acceleration is
$$a=\frac{d^2}{dt^2}S(t)$$
When you took the second derivative of ##S(t)## you got
$$\frac{d^2}{dt^2}S(t)=2a$$
So is the equation for ##S(t)## valid?
seems to work for me. I've gone backwards and forwards.

Orson said:
seems to work for me. I've gone backwards and forwards.
The point is that there is a contradiction ##a\ne2a##.

NFuller said:
true. another question reads assuming gravity is the only force acting on the ball, what is the value of a? -9.81*3.28 (converting meters into feet) .

then of course they want to know the maximum height, the time it achieves maximum height, and the time it hits the ground. (quadratic time)

but what do i do about this contradiction?

Orson said:
but what do i do about this contradiction?
Well, the question says to verify whether ##S(t)## us given correctly. Clearly its not because the second derivative does not give the acceleration. If you need to write it in the correct form, then inserting a factor of ##1/2## in front of ##a## in the equation for ##S(t)## will fix the contradiction.

NFuller said:
Well, the question says to verify whether ##S(t)## us given correctly. Clearly its not because the second derivative does not give the acceleration. If you need to write it in the correct form, then inserting a factor of ##1/2## in front of ##a## in the equation for ##S(t)## will fix the contradiction.
was this a trick question?

Orson said:
was this a trick question?
I think the question is worded badly but from what I can tell its asking if they gave you the correct expression for the position of a falling object. By checking the second derivative we have shown that this is not the proper equation and that is your answer.

The only other thing I can thing of is that the problem is just using bad notation and that ##a## doesn't explicitly mean acceleration but is just an arbitrary constant in the equation. If that is the case then acceleration is related to the ##a## they give you by ##a=2\times\text{acceleration}##.

NFuller said:
The only other thing I can thing of is that the problem is just using bad notation and that ##a## doesn't explicitly mean acceleration but is just an arbitrary constant in the equation. If that is the case then acceleration is related to the ##a## they give you by ##a=2\times\text{acceleration}##.
I'll find out on Wednesday. I love the prof but there is a language barrier.

NFuller said:

That was the way I interpreted the given equation. :smile:

Likes Orson
NFuller said:

The problem (as reproduced by the OP) does not claim that the acceleration is ##a##; it just writes a formula for ##S(t)## that is quadratic and contains two constants it calls ##c## and ##a##.

Likes Orson
Later in the problem it asks for the value of a, assuming only gravity is acting on the ball. Given this is a calculus course as opposed to a physics course, should i use -10(3.28), -9.80(3.28), or -9.81(3.28)?

If gravity is the only force acting on the ball, then we would have:

##s(t)=-\dfrac{g}{2}t^2+v_0t+s_0##

And so:

##a=-\dfrac{g}{2}##

If you are required to give a numeric answer, then I would use:

##g\approx32.2\,\dfrac{\text{ft}}{\text{s}^2}##

Related to What is the initial velocity of a ball falling in Earth's gravity?

What is a distance/velocity problem?

A distance/velocity problem is a type of problem commonly encountered in physics and mathematics, where the goal is to calculate the distance an object has traveled or its velocity at a given time based on known information such as initial velocity, acceleration, and time elapsed.

What are the key concepts involved in solving a distance/velocity problem?

The key concepts involved in solving a distance/velocity problem include understanding the relationship between distance, velocity, and time, as well as the equations of motion such as the equation for average velocity (v = d/t) and the equation for constant acceleration (v = u + at).

How do you approach solving a distance/velocity problem?

To solve a distance/velocity problem, start by identifying the known and unknown variables and determining which equations can be used to solve for the unknown. Then, plug in the known values and solve for the unknown using basic algebraic principles.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a distance/velocity problem?

Common mistakes to avoid when solving a distance/velocity problem include using the wrong units, not carefully considering the direction of the velocity, and not taking into account the effects of acceleration. It is also important to double check all calculations and units to ensure accuracy.

How can distance/velocity problems be applied in real-world situations?

Distance/velocity problems have many real-world applications, such as calculating the speed of a moving vehicle, determining the distance an athlete has traveled during a race, or predicting the time it will take for a rocket to reach a certain distance in space. These types of problems are also important in fields such as engineering and physics for designing and analyzing motion and transportation systems.