What Is the Initial Speed of a Diver Jumping from a 10m Board?

In summary, the problem involves a diver jumping from a 10 m high diving board at a 30 degree angle above the horizontal and reaching the water after 2 seconds. The equations v=vi+at, s=si+vit+0.5(a)t^2, and v^2=Vi^2+2a(s-s0) can be used, but the initial velocity is unknown and breaking it into components was unsuccessful. The solution requires finding the vertical component of the initial velocity.
Matt1234

Homework Statement

A diver jumps from a 10 m high diving board at an angle of 30 deg above horizontal. 2 seconds later the diver reaches water. What is the initial speed of the diver ?

Homework Equations

v = vi + at
s = si + vit +0.5(a)t^2
v^2= Vi^2 + 2 a (s-s0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried applying the above equations yet i can't seem to come up with the method. I know Acceleration is constant 9.81 m/s^2. But the initial velocity is throwing me off, i have also tried to break the velocity into components, but was unseccessful.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Matt1234 said:
But the initial velocity is throwing me off, i have also tried to break the velocity into components, but was unseccessful.
Show what you've tried. Hint: If the initial velocity is 'v', what's the vertical component?

here is my attempt, I am sorry for the poor handwriting and poor quality scan. Thank you for your help.

[PLAIN]http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7664/lastscanql.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What Is the Initial Speed of a Diver Jumping from a 10m Board?

What is a constant acceleration problem?

A constant acceleration problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object that is undergoing constant acceleration. This means that the object's velocity is changing at a constant rate over time.

How is constant acceleration calculated?

Constant acceleration can be calculated using the equation a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

What is the difference between constant acceleration and uniform motion?

Constant acceleration and uniform motion are two different types of motion. Uniform motion is when an object is moving at a constant speed in a straight line, while constant acceleration is when an object's velocity is changing at a constant rate over time.

What are some real-life examples of constant acceleration?

Some examples of real-life constant acceleration include a car accelerating from a stop, a roller coaster going down a hill, or a ball being thrown into the air.

How can constant acceleration be represented graphically?

Constant acceleration can be represented on a graph by a straight line with a positive slope. The slope of the line represents the acceleration, and the y-intercept represents the initial velocity.