What is the initial speed of a bullet fired into a ballistic pendulum?

In summary, Conservation of momentum applies to the collision of a 7.0-g bullet and a 1.5-kg ballistic pendulum. Using the equation (Mbullet)(Initial Velocity)+(Mpend)(Initial Velocity)=(Mb)(Fvelocity)+(Mp)(Fvelocity), the initial speed of the bullet was calculated to be 306.5 m/s, but this answer was incorrect. A second equation, (.5mvf^2)-(.5mvi^2)= -(mgyf-mgyi), was used to incorporate the maximum height of 12.6 cm (0.126 m). Solving for vf, it was determined that the initial speed of the bullet was actually 0.49 m/s.
balling12

Homework Statement

A 7.0-g bullet is fired into a 1.5-kg ballistic pendulum. The bullet emerges from the block with a speed of 200 m/s, and the block rises to a maximum height of 12.6 cm. Find the initial speed of the bullet.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equation:
(Mbullet)(Initial Velocity)+(Mpend)(Initial Velocity)=(Mb)(Fvelocity)+(Mp)(Fvelocity)
Once i plugged in all of the information i have i came to the answer of 306.5 but it is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of momentum applies to the collision of bullet and block, but how did you make use of the maximum height? (You'll need a second equation.)

Doc Al said:
Conservation of momentum applies to the collision of bullet and block, but how did you make use of the maximum height? (You'll need a second equation.)

For my second equation i used (.5mvf^2)-(.5mvi^2)= -(mgyf-mgyi)
when i solved: vf=.49

balling12 said:
For my second equation i used (.5mvf^2)-(.5mvi^2)= -(mgyf-mgyi)
when i solved: vf=.49
Show exactly how you got that result.

Doc Al said:
Show exactly how you got that result.

Initial V Of Pend= 0 Initial Height of Pend= 0
so (.5)mvf^2= -mgyf
masses cancel
vf= square root[ (2)(g)(0.0126)]
=.49

balling12 said:
Initial V Of Pend= 0 Initial Height of Pend= 0
so (.5)mvf^2= -mgyf
masses cancel
vf= square root[ (2)(g)(0.0126)]
=.49
12.6 cm = 0.126 m (not 0.0126).

Doc Al said:
12.6 cm = 0.126 m (not 0.0126).

dang that was my problem lol. thanks

Related to What is the initial speed of a bullet fired into a ballistic pendulum?

What is the definition of bullet momentum?

Bullet momentum is a measurement of the amount of motion an object possesses due to its mass and velocity. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of the bullet by its velocity.

Why is bullet momentum important?

Bullet momentum is important because it helps determine the amount of force an object possesses. In the case of a bullet, it can help determine the impact it will have on a target and the potential damage it can cause.

How is bullet momentum related to bullet energy?

Bullet momentum and bullet energy are both measurements of the motion and force of a bullet. However, bullet momentum takes into account the mass of the bullet, while bullet energy does not. This means that two bullets with the same energy but different masses will have different momentums.

What factors affect bullet momentum?

The two main factors that affect bullet momentum are the mass and velocity of the bullet. A heavier bullet or a bullet traveling at a higher velocity will have a greater momentum.

How is bullet momentum calculated?

To calculate bullet momentum, you multiply the mass of the bullet in kilograms by its velocity in meters per second. The resulting unit is kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s).