What is the Image of a Plane Under a Linear Transformation?

They're not necessary, but they work fine, too. I chose the ones I did because they both have one zero component.
TsAmE

Homework Statement

Let T: [itex]\mathbb{R}^3 \to \mathbb{R}^3[/itex] be the linear map represented by the matrix [itex]\begin{pmatrix} 4 & -1 & 0 \\ 6& 3 & -2\\ 12& 6 & -4\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

What is the image under T of the plane [itex]2x - 5y + 2z = -5[/itex]?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I made [itex]z = \mu[/itex] and [itex]y = \lambda[/itex] (since z and y are both excess variables) and so got the parametric equations of my plane to be:

[itex]x = \frac{-5}{2} + \frac{5}{2}\lambda - \mu[/itex]
[itex]y = \lambda[/itex]
[itex]z = \mu[/itex]

where [itex]\mu, \lambda\varepsilon \mathbb{R}[/itex] but the correct answer was:

[itex]\begin{pmatrix}x\\y \\z\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}1\\3 \\4\end{pmatrix} + \lambda \begin{pmatrix}5\\2 \\0\end{pmatrix} + \mu\begin{pmatrix}1\\0 \\-1\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Im not sure what I did wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
TsAmE said:

Homework Statement

Let T: [itex]\mathbb{R}^3 \to \mathbb{R}^3[/itex] be the linear map represented by the matrix [itex]\begin{pmatrix} 4 & -1 & 0 \\ 6& 3 & -2\\ 12& 6 & -4\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

What is the image under T of the plane [itex]2x - 5y + 2z = -5[/itex]?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I made [itex]z = \mu[/itex] and [itex]y = \lambda[/itex] (since z and y are both excess variables) and so got the parametric equations of my plane to be:

[itex]y = \lambda[/itex]
[itex]z = \mu[/itex]

where [itex]\mu, \lambda\varepsilon \mathbb{R}[/itex] but the correct answer was:

[itex]\begin{pmatrix}x\\y \\z\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}1\\3 \\4\end{pmatrix} + \lambda \begin{pmatrix}5\\2 \\0\end{pmatrix} + \mu\begin{pmatrix}1\\0 \\-1\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Im not sure what I did wrong
The parametric equation of the plane and the answer to the problem are two different things. The image of your plane is the product of the given matrix and the vector with the parametric representation of the plane.

Mark44 said:
The parametric equation of the plane and the answer to the problem are two different things. The image of your plane is the product of the given matrix and the vector with the parametric representation of the plane.

I see, but where did I go wrong with the vector with the parametric representation of the plane, cause I can't see what I did wrong.

I don't see anything wrong with that. I got about the same as what you got. It's possible that you and the book just have different representations of the same thing. You can check yours by substituting a few values of lambda and mu to see if you actually get points that are on the plane.

I tried checking the x values so I subbed x = 1 into [itex]x = \frac{-5}{2} + \frac{5}{2}\lambda - \mu[/itex] and got x = -1 and for [itex]\begin{pmatrix}x\\y \\z\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}1\\3 \\4\end{pmatrix} + \lambda \begin{pmatrix}5\\2\\0\end{pmatrix} + \mu\begin{pmatrix}1\\0 \\-1\end{pmatrix}[/itex] I got x = 5. But these two values don't equal each other:confused:

You have this parametrization of the plane:
[tex]\begin{pmatrix}x\\y \\z\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}-5/2\\0 \\0\end{pmatrix} + \lambda \begin{pmatrix}5\\2\\0\end{pmatrix} + \mu\begin{pmatrix}1\\0 \\-1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Your book has this parametrization:
[tex]\begin{pmatrix}x\\y \\z\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}1\\3 \\4\end{pmatrix} + \lambda \begin{pmatrix}5\\2\\0\end{pmatrix} + \mu\begin{pmatrix}1\\0 \\-1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Both are correct. You can check by substituting pairs of values for lambda and mu. For a given pair of values for lambda and mu, you'll get different points (x, y, z), but both points satisfy the equation of the plane, 2x - 5y + 2z = -5.

Mark44 said:
You have this parametrization of the plane:
[tex]\begin{pmatrix}x\\y \\z\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}-5/2\\0 \\0\end{pmatrix} + \lambda \begin{pmatrix}5\\2\\0\end{pmatrix} + \mu\begin{pmatrix}1\\0 \\-1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Dont you mean I have this parametrization of the plane:
[tex]\begin{pmatrix}x\\y \\z\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}\frac{-5}{2}\\0 \\0\end{pmatrix} + \lambda \begin{pmatrix}\frac{5}{2}\\1\\0\end{pmatrix} + \mu\begin{pmatrix}-1\\0 \\1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

corresponding to:

Yes, but of course those are parameterizations of the same plane with different values of [itex]\mu[/itex] giving the same point.

TsAmE said:
Dont you mean I have this parametrization of the plane:
[tex]\begin{pmatrix}x\\y \\z\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}\frac{-5}{2}\\0 \\0\end{pmatrix} + \lambda \begin{pmatrix}\frac{5}{2}\\1\\0\end{pmatrix} + \mu\begin{pmatrix}-1\\0 \\1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

corresponding to:

What I wrote wasn't exactly the same as what you had, but it gives exactly the same plane. I debated saying that when I posted my reply, but didn't.

Any point in the plane whose equation is 2x -5y + 2z = -5 can be reached by a vector sum. That's what the parametric equations are saying. Since the plane doesn't go through the origin, the first vector goes from the origin to a point on the plane: the vector <-5/2, 0, 0> does this. From this point on the plane, any other point on the plane is a linear combination of two other vectors that I wrote as <5, 2, 0> and <1, 0, -1>.

So the vector from (0, 0, 0) to a point (x, y, z) on the plane is the vector sum <-5/2, 0, 0> + a<5, 2, 0> + b<1, 0, -1>.

The two vectors <5, 2, 0> and <1, 0, -1> are both perpendicular to the plane's normal, which happens to be <2, -5, 2>. You can verify this by checking that the dot product of each of these vectors with <2, -5, 2> is zero.

Any multiples of the vectors <5, 2, 0> and <1, 0, -1> will also generate all points in the plane. The vectors you had -- <5/2, 1, 0> and <-1, 0, 1> -- are just multiples of the vectors I chose.

Related to What is the Image of a Plane Under a Linear Transformation?

1. What is an image of a plane in a linear map?

The image of a plane in a linear map is the transformed version of the original plane, after applying the linear transformation. It is the set of all points obtained by multiplying the coordinates of each point in the original plane by the transformation matrix.

2. How is the image of a plane affected by a linear map?

The image of a plane is affected by a linear map through the transformation matrix. This matrix determines how the plane is scaled, rotated, and sheared in the transformed image. The image may also be reflected or translated depending on the transformation applied.

3. Can the image of a plane be the same as the original plane in a linear map?

Yes, it is possible for the image of a plane to be the same as the original plane in a linear map. This occurs when the transformation matrix is an identity matrix, which results in no changes to the original plane.

4. How does the dimension of the plane's image relate to the dimension of the original plane in a linear map?

In a linear map, the dimension of the plane's image is equal to the rank of the transformation matrix. This means that the dimension of the image can be smaller, equal, or larger than the dimension of the original plane, depending on the properties of the transformation matrix.

5. What is the significance of the image of a plane in a linear map?

The image of a plane in a linear map is significant because it allows us to visualize the effects of the linear transformation on the plane. It also helps us understand the properties and behavior of the transformation matrix, and how it affects the geometry of the plane. Additionally, the image of a plane can be used to solve problems and make predictions in various fields, such as computer graphics, engineering, and physics.