What is the image height formed by the new diverging lens?

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of a converging lens to form a real image that is twice as high as the object. In part B, a diverging lens with the same focal length was used and the height of the resulting image formed was found to be 2 cm when the object height was 5.00 cm and the object was located 27.5 cm from the lens. The equations used were hi/ho = di/do and 1/f = 1/di + 1/do.
matt72lsu

Homework Statement

An object is located 27.5 cm from a certain lens. The lens forms a real image that is twice as high as the object.
b) Now replace the lens used in Part A with another lens. The new lens is a diverging lens whose focal points are at the same distance from the lens as the focal points of the first lens. If the object is 5.00 cm high, what is the height of the image formed by the new lens? The object is still located 27.5 cm from the lens.

Homework Equations

hi/ho = di/do 1/f = 1/di + 1/di

The Attempt at a Solution

for part A, i found the focal length to be 18.3 cm. For part B i really don't know how to start. I was thinking that i had to solve for either di or do and plug it into the first equation but I don't think that is possible with the info given.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok you know converging lenses form real images that are inverted.

So -2 = -q/27.5

q = 55 cm

1/27.5 + 1/55 = 1/f

f = 18.3 cm so your part A is correct.

For part B, you know f = -18.3 cm and p = 27.5 cm so just find q (the image distance) and then find the magnification (-q/p) and multiply that to the object height.

Ok I'm getting 2 cm. Could you double-check that please?

Yep that checks out with what I got. Good job.

Related to What is the image height formed by the new diverging lens?

1. What is focal length?

Focal length is the distance between the center of a lens and its focal point, where light rays converge to form a sharp image.

2. How does focal length affect the image?

Focal length determines the magnification and field of view of an image. A shorter focal length creates a wider field of view, while a longer focal length results in a narrower field of view and increased magnification.

3. What is the relationship between focal length and object height?

The relationship between focal length and object height is inverse. As the focal length increases, the object height decreases, resulting in a smaller image. Similarly, a shorter focal length will result in a larger object height and a bigger image.

4. How do I calculate the focal length of a lens?

The focal length of a lens can be calculated by dividing the distance between the lens and the focal point (usually the sensor or film) by the distance between the lens and the object being photographed. This is known as the thin lens equation.

5. Can I change the focal length of a lens?

Yes, most lenses have a variable focal length, also known as a zoom lens. This allows you to adjust the focal length and change the magnification and field of view of your image. Some lenses, such as prime lenses, have a fixed focal length and cannot be changed.