What is the horizontal acceleration of a 7.00-kg block with two given forces?

In summary, the homework asks for the acceleration of a 7.00 kg block when two forces act on it. The program correctly calculates the acceleration as -0.023 m/s^2.
KachinaEarth

Homework Statement

Two forces, F1 and F2, act on the 7.00-kg block shown in the drawing. The magnitudes of the forces are F1=65.9 N and F2=22.7 N. Take the positive direction to be to the right. Find the horizontal acceleration of the block, including sign.

http://img522.imageshack.us/my.php?image=forcett9.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F = ma or a = [tex]\Sigma[/tex]F / m

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F - Net Force (F1 + F2 = Net F)
m - mass
a - acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

F1 = 65.9N
F1 * Sin = 61.9N
F1 * Cos = 22.6N

F2 = 22.7 N
F2 Opposite Force = -22.7 N

(-) 22.7 N + (+) 22.54 N = 7 kg*a
(-).16 N = 7 kg*a
(-).16 N / 7 kg = a
(-)0.023 m/s[tex]^{2}[/tex]

I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong as when I try to use this answer it is marked as incorrect so any help would be most appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
-0.023 m/s^2 was marked as incorrect?

Correct; my answer is marked as incorrect but I'm not sure why as it seems to be the only answer I can arrive at using the formula taught to me both in my class and in my recitation lab.

KachinaEarth said:
Correct; my answer is marked as incorrect but I'm not sure why as it seems to be the only answer I can arrive at using the formula taught to me both in my class and in my recitation lab.

Did you post the question exactly as it is? Did you maybe mix up F1 and F2?

Directly as is. I was very careful to type everything word, and number, for word.

Is there perhaps an error with the homework you think?

KachinaEarth said:
Directly as is. I was very careful to type everything word, and number, for word.

Is there perhaps an error with the homework you think?

yeah I think so... I suspect maybe there's a coefficient of friction that's supposed to be in the problem... but they left out...

Unless the program is sensitive about significant figures or something?
Maybe -0.0230m/s^2 will work? Not sure...

I tried the extra zero at the end of -0.0230 m/s^2 and it took the answer, finally, so I think the program is just that sensitive. Thank you so much for your help. I was starting to stress so much I don't think I would have thought to keep adding on significant numbers.

KachinaEarth said:
I tried the extra zero at the end of -0.0230 m/s^2 and it took the answer, finally, so I think the program is just that sensitive. Thank you so much for your help. I was starting to stress so much I don't think I would have thought to keep adding on significant numbers.

No prob. Glad it went through. :smile:

Related to What is the horizontal acceleration of a 7.00-kg block with two given forces?

What is "Exercise in Net Force"?

"Exercise in Net Force" refers to the scientific concept of applying a force to an object in order to produce a change in its motion or position.

How is net force calculated?

Net force is calculated by adding together all the individual forces acting on an object, taking into account their direction and magnitude.

What is the relationship between net force and acceleration?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the net force acting on an object is directly proportional to its acceleration. This means that the greater the net force, the greater the acceleration, and vice versa.

Can net force be negative?

Yes, net force can be negative. A negative net force means that the forces acting on an object are in opposite directions, resulting in a decrease in acceleration or a change in direction of motion.

How does friction affect net force?

Friction is a force that opposes motion, and it can decrease the net force acting on an object. This means that the acceleration of an object in the presence of friction will be smaller than the acceleration in the absence of friction.