What is the heaviest element that a supernova can produce?

In summary, Uranium is the heaviest "natural" element on Earth due to its stability, but the heaviest element ever produced by a supernova is not necessarily the most stable. Super heavy elements have short half-lives, and the currently known heaviest element is 118, which can be produced in a supernova due to its extreme conditions. While there is no theoretical element number that has been calculated, it is possible that astrophysicists have made educated speculations based on their knowledge of supernova dynamics.
seerongo
As I understand it, Uranium is the heaviest "natural" element that is still observable on Earth because of it's stability, but what is the heaviest element that may have ever been produced by a supernova regardless of stability?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Super heavy elements have short half-lives, and currently the heaviest known element is 118, so we can assume it can be produced in a supernova explosion since the conditions there are more extreme than in the lab.

Thanks for the reply. I see that 118 was synthesized (in 2002 or so?) I guess I was wondering if anyone has calculated a theoretical element number that could possibly be formed in a large supernova. I know this is a bit general, but astrophysicists have learned a lot about the dynamics of supernovae and I thought that maybe there is some educated speculation on the subject.

Related to What is the heaviest element that a supernova can produce?

1. What is a supernova?

A supernova is a powerful explosion that occurs when a massive star reaches the end of its life and collapses, releasing a tremendous amount of energy and matter into space.

2. How are elements produced in a supernova?

During a supernova, the intense heat and pressure cause the fusion of atomic nuclei, creating heavier elements up to iron. Elements heavier than iron are formed through the process of neutron capture.

3. What is the heaviest element that can be produced in a supernova?

The heaviest element that can be produced in a supernova is uranium, with an atomic number of 92. Elements with higher atomic numbers cannot be produced in a supernova and are only formed through other processes, such as neutron star collisions.

4. Can a supernova produce all elements?

No, a supernova can only produce elements up to uranium. Elements with higher atomic numbers, such as plutonium or einsteinium, can only be produced in a laboratory or through other natural processes, such as neutron star mergers.

5. How does the production of elements in a supernova affect our understanding of the universe?

The production of elements in a supernova is crucial to our understanding of the universe. It explains how elements were formed and distributed throughout the universe, and it also helps us understand the evolution of stars and the processes that shape our cosmos.