What is the half-life of Iodine-131?

In summary, to find the half life of Iodine-131, you can use the decay law equation and solve for the constant c by plugging in the given initial dosage and dosage after 6 hours. Once c is found, you can use the half life formula to find the half life of Iodine-131.
Coco12

Homework Statement

0ops.. The title should read solving logs..
Mod note: Fixed.

the original dosage contains 280 MBq of Iodine-131. If none is lost from the body, then after 6 hr there are 274 MBq of iodine-131. What is the half life of iodine I-131?

Homework Equations

Logcx=y

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to put
274=280(1/2)^t/6 in and solve for t. But now I know it can't be right because it is not halving every 6 hrs.. However I don't know how you would figure it out. Can someone give me a hint?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The concentration varies with time according to the equation [itex]I=I_0e^{-kt}[/itex], where k is a constant that you need to determine from the data: -kt = ln(I/I0). Once k is known, find the time at which I is equal to half of I0: -kt1/2=ln(1/2)

Coco12 said:

Homework Statement

the original dosage contains 280 MBq of Iodine-131. If none is lost from the body, then after 6 hr there are 274 MBq of iodine-131. What is the half life of iodine I-131?

Homework Equations

Logcx=y

I tried to put
274=280(1/2)^t/6 in and solve for t. But now I know it can't be right because it is not halving every 6 hrs.. However I don't know how you would figure it out. Can someone give me a hint?

Put ##D = D_0 (1/2)^{t/c},## where ##D =## dosage after t hours, ##D_0 = ## initial dosage (at t = 0) and ##c## is a constant. You are given ##D_0 = 280##, and at t = 6 you have ##D = 274##. You have enough information to find ##c##.

Likes 1 person
Coco12 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Logcx=y

I tried to put

The radioactivity will follow the decay law 280*(1/2)^(t/k). k is the half life. You want to solve for k, not put k=6.

Likes 1 person
Ray Vickson said:
Put ##D = D_0 (1/2)^{t/c},## where ##D =## dosage after t hours, ##D_0 = ## initial dosage (at t = 0) and ##c## is a constant. You are given ##D_0 = 280##, and at t = 6 you have ##D = 274##. You have enough information to find ##c##.

Thank you!

Related to What is the half-life of Iodine-131?

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse of an exponential function. It represents the power to which a base number must be raised to equal a given number.

2. How do you solve a logarithmic equation?

To solve a logarithmic equation, you must isolate the logarithm on one side of the equation and then use the inverse operation, exponentiation, to solve for the variable.

3. What are the properties of logarithms?

The three main properties of logarithms are the product property, quotient property, and power property. These properties allow us to simplify complex logarithmic expressions and solve equations more easily.

4. Are there any restrictions when solving logarithmic equations?

Yes, when solving logarithmic equations, we must ensure that the argument, or input, of the logarithm is greater than 0. Otherwise, the equation has no real solutions.

5. How can solving logarithmic equations be applied in real life?

Solving logarithmic equations can be used to model various real-life situations, such as population growth, interest rates, and sound intensity. It is also frequently used in fields such as engineering, physics, and finance.