What is the general solution for PDEs in the form of a question?

• Thread starter Bruno Tolentino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphic Pde
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between parabolas and conic sections, and how they can be represented by equations. The conversation then moves on to discussing solutions to second order partial differential equations and their different types. It is mentioned that a unified solution for these equations does not exist.
Bruno Tolentino
y = a x² + b x + c is a parabola. But, a parabola is just a kind of conic.

All conics are given by a x² + b x y + c y² + d x + e y + f = 0

The same way, the graphic y = f(x), with f(x) satisfying a d²f/dx² + b df/dx + c f = 0, is just a particular graphic of F(x,y) = 0 with F(x,y) satisfying

a d²F/dx² + b d²F/dxdy + c d²F/dy² + d dF/dx + e dF/dy + f F = 0

OBS: a, b, c... are constants.

So, which is the general solution for the PDE above? And, where I can visualize the graphic?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure I understand your question. It should be clear that the "general solution" to "[itex]a F_{xx}+ b F_{xy}+ c F_{yy}+ d F_x+ e F_y+ fF= 0[/itex]" is simply "[itex]ax^2+ bxy+ cy^2+ dx+ ey+ f= 0[/itex]".

I simply want to know which is the funcion F(x,y) that satisfies a PDE of second order with constant coeficients.

If this function F don't exist, or wasn't discoverd yet, so, exist some program that outline the graphic(approximately) of the solution of the PDE?

Bruno Tolentino said:
I simply want to know which is the funcion F(x,y) that satisfies a PDE of second order with constant coeficients.

If this function F don't exist, or wasn't discoverd yet, so, exist some program that outline the graphic(approximately) of the solution of the PDE?
That is basically the opposite of the question you originally asked! Second order partial differential equations can have very different solutions and are basically divided into "elliptic", "hyperbolic", and "parabolic" equations. Any introductory PDE textbook will have a discussion of what those type of equations and how their solutions differ.

Still today, none made some effort for try to unify these 3 kinds of solutions. Don't exist a general solution?

Bruno Tolentino said:
Still today, none made some effort for try to unify these 3 kinds of solutions. Don't exist a general solution?

No, it doesn't exist.

Why not? Is it impossible?

Yes, I think it is impossible to give a nice unified solution. But I have not seen this in a theorem/proof form yet. You can of course solve any PDE as in the original post if you are given specific values and specific boundary values. Just as conic section can have very different behavior, so do PDE's.

Related to What is the general solution for PDEs in the form of a question?

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a type of mathematical equation that involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. It is often used to describe physical phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics.

2. How are PDEs solved graphically?

PDEs can be solved graphically by plotting the solution on a graph with the independent variables as the axes. This allows for a visual representation of the solution and can help to understand the behavior of the system over time or in different conditions.

3. What are some common methods for solving PDEs?

Some common methods for solving PDEs include separation of variables, the method of characteristics, and finite difference methods. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages depending on the type of PDE and the desired accuracy of the solution.

4. How are PDEs used in real-world applications?

PDEs are used in a variety of real-world applications, including engineering, physics, economics, and biology. They can be used to model and predict behaviors of complex systems, such as weather patterns, fluid flow, and chemical reactions.

5. Can PDEs be solved analytically?

Some PDEs can be solved analytically, meaning that an exact solution can be found using mathematical techniques. However, many PDEs are too complex to be solved analytically and require numerical methods or approximations to find a solution.