What Is the Frequency of the Tuning Fork in a Resonating Water Tube Experiment?

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of standing waves and the concept of resonance in determining the frequency of a tuning fork. The second part of the conversation involved finding the time it takes for a stone to hit the bottom of a well, using the formula time = distance / speed.
dagitt

Homework Statement

1. A vertical tube with a tap at the base is filled with water, and a tuning fork vibrates over its mouth. As the water level is lowered in the tube, resonance is heard when the water level has dropped 20 cm, and again after 60 cm of distance exists from the water to the top of the tube. What is the frequency of the tuning fork?

2. If you drop a stone into a well that is d = 129.5 m deep, as illustrated in the figure below, how soon after you drop the stone will you hear it hit the bottom of the well?

Homework Equations

V = f * Wavelength
(f = frequency in Hz)

T = 1 / f
(T =period in sec.)

Speed of sound = 340.29 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

1. i just don't understand it..i'm assuming the 20cm and 60cm are wavelengths? why am i given two? if i plug these into the equation V = f * Wavelength (using speed of sound for V), i get 2 different answers...and according to my webassign, neither are right. i think I'm doing something wrong, because i generally just don't understand how to set up this prob.. :(

2. Wavelength = 129.5 m, V = 340.29 m/s. Solve for frequency.
F = 2.63 Hz, plug into Period Formula.
T = .38 sec. But this is the wrong answer according to Webassign.

any or all help appreciated. i really just suck at anything math related.
thanks so much

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Have you studied standing waves yet? If not you'll need to look them up as they're the key here.

Look at this standing wave;

http://www1.union.edu/newmanj/lasers/Light%20as%20a%20Wave/standing%20wave2.JPG

The resonance will occur when the wave hits the water on a maximum, i.e after 1/4 of a wavelength, and after 3/4 of the wavelength, do you see why?

2) The wavelength is not 129.5m, there's no reason why it should be. I can't see any reason why you'd need to consider frequency/wavelength here, use the simple relation time = distance / speed

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What Is the Frequency of the Tuning Fork in a Resonating Water Tube Experiment?

1. What is the difference between a longitudinal wave and a transverse wave?

A longitudinal wave is a wave in which the particles of the medium vibrate parallel to the direction of the wave's propagation. A transverse wave is a wave in which the particles of the medium vibrate perpendicular to the direction of the wave's propagation.

2. How does the frequency of a wave affect its wavelength?

The frequency of a wave is directly proportional to its wavelength. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: wavelength = speed of wave / frequency.

3. Can sound travel through a vacuum?

No, sound cannot travel through a vacuum. Sound waves require a medium, such as air, to travel through. In a vacuum, there is no medium for sound to propagate through, so there would be no sound.

4. How does the temperature of a medium affect the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is directly proportional to the temperature of the medium it is traveling through. This means that as the temperature increases, the speed of sound also increases. This relationship is described by the equation: speed of sound = √(gamma x pressure/density), where gamma is the adiabatic index of the medium.

5. What is the Doppler effect and how does it apply to waves?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency of a wave due to the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. This effect can be observed in both sound and light waves. If the source of the wave is moving towards the observer, the frequency appears higher, and if the source is moving away, the frequency appears lower. This can be heard in the change in pitch of a siren as a police car passes by, or seen in the change in color of a star as it moves away from Earth.