What is the frequency of the string now?

In summary: I just noticed a typo in your equation; it's a square root not a square. It looks like you did a square root when you solved it, but that's not what you wrote.)Does that help?In summary, the piano tuner hears 2.00 beats/s between a reference oscillator and the string while attempting to tune the note C at 523 Hz. The possible frequencies of the string are 535 Hz or 521 Hz. When the tuner tightens the string slightly, she hears 3 beats/s and the frequency of the string is now 526 Hz. To bring the string into tune, the piano tuner should decrease the tension in the string by 1.14%. The equation used is F2
crazyog

Homework Statement

While attempting to tune the note C at 523 Hz, a piano tuner hears 2.00 beats/s between a reference oscillator and the string.
(a) What are the possible frequencies of the string?
(b) When she tightens the string slightly, she hears 3 beats/s What is the frequency of the string now?
(c) By what percentage should the piano tuner now change the tension in the string to bring it into tune?

Homework Equations

I'm not sure what equation to use for part b.
freq= n/2L

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (a) I found that the two possible frequencies are5 23 +/- 2
so 535 Hz or 521 Hz

for part (b) I'm not sure how to get an actual value
From what I understand...when the string is tightened its frequency increase since the beat frequency goes up, its becoming more out of tune.. (is this correct?)

(I think I need part (b) to do (c))

Please help! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi crazyog,

I think you do part b the same way you did part a. It's just that since they tell you that she tightens the string, that will tell you whether to you plus or minus in your equation. What do you get?

Oh ok so I did Freq of beat = absolute value of (F1 - F2)
so...
3 = (524- F2)
solve for F2 = 526 Hz

Then for c I used the equation 2*pi/T = 2*pi*freq
I solve for T for the freq at 526 and at 523...(is that correect)
and I get an answer like T = .00190 and T = .001912 respectively.
not really sure about this...something I am missing ?

crazyog said:
Oh ok so I did Freq of beat = absolute value of (F1 - F2)
so...
3 = (524- F2)
solve for F2 = 526 Hz

Then for c I used the equation 2*pi/T = 2*pi*freq
I solve for T for the freq at 526 and at 523...(is that correect)
and I get an answer like T = .00190 and T = .001912 respectively.
not really sure about this...something I am missing ?

I think you might be misreading the equation; this T is the period not the tension. (Remember that tension has units of force.)

What equation relates the tension in the string to other things?

Oh ok so I want to use f = v/wavelength which is also equal to (1/2L)(sqrt(T/mu)

can't I set up a ration like F2/F1 = sqrt(T2/T1)
I saw this in the book but I was not sure how they reduced this
then I et T2 = (523/526)^2T1
T2 =0.989T1

but you want to do 1 - 0.989 (right?) so 0.0114
then reduced by 1.14 percent?

That looks right to me.

They reduced the fraction to that, because once they formed a ratio the variables that were the same for F1 and F2 cancelled.

1. What is the frequency of a string?

The frequency of a string is the number of times a particular sound wave repeats itself in one second. It is measured in Hertz (Hz).

2. How is the frequency of a string determined?

The frequency of a string is determined by its length, tension, and mass per unit length. These factors affect how fast the string vibrates and determines the frequency of the sound produced.

3. How does the frequency of a string affect the sound produced?

The frequency of a string directly affects the pitch of the sound produced. Higher frequencies produce higher pitched sounds, while lower frequencies produce lower pitched sounds.

4. Can the frequency of a string be changed?

Yes, the frequency of a string can be changed by altering its length, tension, or mass per unit length. This can be done by adjusting the tuning pegs or adding weights to the string.

5. How is the frequency of a string used in music?

The frequency of a string is used to create different notes and pitches in music. By adjusting the frequency, musicians can produce a wide range of sounds and create melodies and harmonies.