What is the Frequency of Sound in Air at 11°C with a Wavelength of 4m?

HzIn summary, the frequency of sound traveling in air at 11 degrees Celsius with a wavelength of 4 meters can be approximated to be 84.65 Hz using the formula for speed of sound as a function of temperature. This value is calculated by interpolating the data for speed of sound at 20 degrees Celsius and -20 degrees Celsius, and then adjusting for the change in speed per degree Celsius.
What frequency of sound traveling in air at 11 oC has a wavelength of 4 m?

From what I can come up with... the frequency of sound at 20C is 344 m/s and at -20C is 320 m/s. From this I interpolated and got at 10C it is 332 m/s and then kinda guessing at 11C it is 333.2 m/s.

333.2 / 4 m = 83.3 hz

...thoughts? My main question revolves around my interpolation of the speed of sound in air at 11C

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use one of the formulas for the speed of sound in air as a function of temperature, to check your interpolation.
For example, see formulas here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_sound

The first approximation is of course a linear increase so your value should be close, if done correctly. I don't understand why would you interpolate at 10 degrees first, if you need it at 11.
From your data, there is change of 24m/s for a temperature change of 40 degrees. This means 0.6m/s/degree. So it will be (320+0.6*31)m/s at 11 degrees (31 degrees above -20).

Ok I see your point. Doing it that way, I come up with speed of sound at 11C = 338.6.

338.6/4m = 84.65

Related to What is the Frequency of Sound in Air at 11°C with a Wavelength of 4m?

1. What is the frequency of sound?

The frequency of sound refers to the number of complete vibrations or cycles of a sound wave that occur in one second, and is measured in Hertz (Hz).

2. How does frequency affect sound?

The frequency of sound waves determines the pitch of a sound. Higher frequencies result in higher pitched sounds, while lower frequencies result in lower pitched sounds.

3. What is the range of frequencies humans can hear?

The average human can hear frequencies ranging from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz. However, this range may vary depending on age, hearing ability, and exposure to loud noises.

4. How can frequency of sound be measured?

The frequency of sound can be measured using a device called a frequency meter or by using sound analysis software. It can also be estimated by counting the number of waves in a sound wave within a given time frame.

5. What are some common problems related to frequency of sound?

Some common problems related to frequency of sound include hearing loss, tinnitus (ringing in the ears), and difficulty distinguishing between similar frequency sounds. High frequency sounds may also cause discomfort or pain in some individuals.