What is the formula for the differential cross section and macro cross section?

In summary, the formula for the differential cross section is used to calculate the probability of a particle being scattered in a specific direction, while the macro cross section is a measure of the total probability of a particle undergoing any type of interaction within a given volume. Both formulas involve the use of various physical parameters and are important in understanding the behavior of particles in a given system.
queenstudy
hello , can anyone give the formula of the differential cross section and the macro cross section because in each web i see a different notation thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
There are very different formulas for the differential cross section that depend on what is more convenient for your particular case. However I found often usefull the formula for the differential cross section of a process "two particle in many particles":

$$A(p_1)+B(p_2)\rightarrow \sum_{i=1}^n{C_i(k_i)}$$

the differential cross section in this case can be written as:

$$d\sigma=\frac{(2\pi)^4\delta\left(p_1+p_2-\sum_i{k_i}\right)}{4\sqrt{(p_1\cdot p_2)^2-m_1^2m_2^2}}{\left|M(p_1,p_2;k_i)\right|}^2\prod_{j=1}^n{\frac{d^3k_j}{(2\pi)^32\omega_j(k_j)}}$$

where M is the matrix element of the process.
The total cross section is obviousli the integral of the differential cross section. However you usually define it as:

$$dN_r=dN_f \cdot \sigma \cdot n_b\cdot d$$

where [itex]N_r[/itex] is the number of particles produced by the reaction, [itex]N_f[/itex] is the number of particles in the beam, [itex]n_b[/itex] is the density of targets and d is the thickness of the target.

You can find some usefull formulas and a very good treatment of this subject here: http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~wit00103/ftip/Ch03.pdf

thanks for the help but the first 2 formulas are new to me but the third is what i am looking for but there is another syntax for it i still don't remember it but thanks any way

Related to What is the formula for the differential cross section and macro cross section?

What is a differential cross section?

A differential cross section is a measurement used in particle physics to describe the probability of a particle scattering or interacting with another particle in a specific direction. It is a fundamental quantity used to understand the properties and interactions of particles.

How is the differential cross section calculated?

The differential cross section is calculated by dividing the number of particles scattered into a specific direction by the number of incident particles, and then normalizing it with respect to the solid angle and target density. This calculation takes into account the energy and momentum of the particles involved in the scattering process.

What is the significance of the differential cross section in particle physics?

The differential cross section provides information about the underlying physical processes and interactions between particles. It can be used to test theoretical models, determine the properties of particles, and study the fundamental forces of nature.

How is the differential cross section related to other physical quantities?

The differential cross section is related to other important physical quantities such as the scattering angle, energy, and momentum of the particles. It is also related to the total cross section, which represents the probability of any scattering event occurring.

What are some common units for measuring the differential cross section?

The differential cross section is typically measured in units of area, such as square meters (m2) or barns (1 barn = 10-28 m2). It can also be expressed in terms of energy, with units of eV-2 or GeV-2.