What is the formula for θ as a function of time in a projectile's path?

In summary, a ball is thrown horizontally from a cliff with an initial velocity. Its direction of motion makes an angle θ to the horizontal.
k-rod AP 2010

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown horizontally from the top of a cliff with an initial Vo(at t=os). At any moment , its direction of motion makes an angle θ to the horizontal.

1)Derive a formula for θ as a function of time, t, as the ball follows a projectile's path.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

components: Vx=Voxcosθ Vy=Voysinθ

then i plugged the x component to find t:Vx=x/t... t=x/(Voxcosθ)

next i plugged t into a y position function Y=Yo+Voyt+1/2at^2

0=h+(Voysinθ )(x/Voxcosθ)+(1/2*-9.8*(x/Voxcosθ)^2)

this be correct because if u were given all of the initial heights and velocities the only variable left to solve for would be θ, giving you your answer right?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a pretty long equation. The horizontal velocity is always constant: v_x = v_ox.
The vertical velocity is just v_y = gt.
You can solve for theta as a function of t using basic trig properties of a right triangle.

hey thanks, but u can only solve for theta using trig for a 1-d motion problem, but in 2-d the object follows a parabolic path so its velocity must be broken into components.

the t=x/v_o cos(theta) gives you time which you plug into the y position function, which accounts for the parabolic path.

if anybody else knows what to do, any help would be aprreciated

Does anybody else know how to solve this, I am really curious what the correct procedure is...

If it helps you, I would start by sketching out a graph showing the function of time (Y) and its relationship to t. You can completely ignore X since it will have nothing to do with how quickly Y changes. Y is only a function of time.

From there on out, follow PhanthomJay's suggestions.

After re-reading your OP, I'm sorry for replying with an incorrect response. I misunderstood your question (whoops!) :redface:
...its direction of motion makes an angle θ to the horizontal.

Use the equations for your X and Y components of your velocity and work out θ using trig.

no worries Condensate =P.. and ok i will try that when it comes around to AP review time, thanks for your help.

Related to What is the formula for θ as a function of time in a projectile's path?

1. What is 2-D motion?

2-D motion refers to the movement of an object in two dimensions, typically represented on a coordinate plane with an x and y axis.

2. How is 2-D motion different from 1-D motion?

1-D motion involves only movement in one direction, while 2-D motion involves movement in two directions simultaneously.

3. What are some examples of 2-D motion?

Some examples of 2-D motion include a ball being thrown at an angle, a plane flying in the sky, or a car driving on a curved road.

4. How is 2-D motion calculated?

To calculate 2-D motion, the equations of motion for both the x and y directions are used, taking into account the initial velocity, acceleration, and time.

5. How is 2-D motion used in real-world applications?

2-D motion is used in many real-world applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile, designing roller coasters, and analyzing the movement of planets and satellites in space.