What is the Formula for Finding the Area of a Circular Coil?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the area of a circular coil. The person is confused about how to calculate the area, as they thought it would be a cylinder. Another person explains that the area of a circle is πr^2 and r is half of the diameter. The confusion is resolved when it is clarified that r^2 = d^2/4.
ikentrovik

Homework Statement

Please see attached image file

I understand everything in this problem except I don't know how they got (1/4) in the area of a coil.

Can someone explain this? I have googled it and I am not getting a clear answer.

I thought the area of a coil could be (pi(r)^2)L where l is the length. But wouldn't this be a cyclinder? How would I find it when the inner core of the cyclinder is missing?

Thank you

Attachments

• toouterspace.png
    toouterspace.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 5,002
Physics news on Phys.org
The coil is circular. The area of a circle is ##\pi r^2## and r is half of the diameter. The expression you gave is not an area, it has dimensions length^3.

You are right. I guess I gace volume. What I really don't understand is why there is a (1/4). Could you please explain why? Thank you.

Orodruin said:
The area of a circle is ##\pi r^2## and r is half of the diameter.

r = d/2 implies r^2 = d^2/4 ...

Oh ok thank you! What I did was divide the diameter in half right away. Thats why I was confused.

Related to What is the Formula for Finding the Area of a Circular Coil?

What is the formula for calculating the area of a circular coil?

The formula for calculating the area of a circular coil is A = πr², where A is the area and r is the radius of the coil.

How do you measure the radius of a circular coil?

The radius of a circular coil can be measured by using a ruler or measuring tape to determine the distance from the center of the coil to the outer edge.

What is the relationship between the area and the number of turns in a circular coil?

The area of a circular coil is directly proportional to the number of turns. This means that as the number of turns increases, the area of the coil also increases.

Can the area of a circular coil be negative?

No, the area of a circular coil cannot be negative. It is a physical quantity and therefore cannot have a negative value.

How does the area of a circular coil affect its magnetic field strength?

The area of a circular coil is directly proportional to its magnetic field strength. This means that as the area increases, the magnetic field strength also increases.