What is the formula for finding the angles in a regular polygon with n sides?

In summary: For example, the argument between the side of a square and the side of a pentagon would be (4.0,5.0). In summary, if a regular polygon has n number of sides, the exterior angles between the sides will be in an orderly progression, starting with 120° and ending at 72°. The total measure of the angles in the n-1 vertices will be the sum of the measures in the n- sides of the polygon.
sambarbarian
Q. If a regular polygon has n number of sides, what will be the angles between the sides ?

i tried to do this by taking ratios of figures and angles , such as 180/3 , 360/4 and so on , but the progression is not uniform so i am clueless right now.

the answer is in terms of n and pi

Physics news on Phys.org
sambarbarian said:
Q. If a regular polygon has n number of sides, what will be the angles between the sides ?

i tried to do this by taking ratios of figures and angles , such as 180/3 , 360/4 and so on , but the progression is not uniform so i am clueless right now.
Try looking at the exterior angles. Make a list of the regular polygons, starting with an equilateral triangle.
Code:
Polygon  Exterior angle
Triangle 120°
Square ?
Pentagon ?
etc.

Pick one vertex and draw a line from that point to all other vertices. That will divide the n-sided polygon into n- 2 triangles. What is the total measure of the angles in those n- 1 vertices? Every angle in every triangle is part of an angle in the polygon so that total is also the total of the measures in the polygon. Since the polygon is regular, all the angles have the same measure.

For example, if the polygon is a square, it has four vertices. Choose any vertex and draw lines to the other vertices. Two of those lines are already sides of the square, the third is a diagonal. That divides the square into 4- 2= 2 triangles. Each has angle measure totaling 180 degrees so that total angle measure of the two triangles, and so of the square, is 2(180)= 360 degrees. Since there are 4 angles, and they all have the same measure, each angle has measure 360/4= 90 dergrees.

halls of ivy , i did not get you

mark , can you please explain how that is relevant to the question ?

Did you make the table like I suggested? If so, what did you get?

By "exterior angle" what I meant was the supplement (i.e., 180° - interior angle) of the interior angle.

square , 90
pentagon , 72
hexagon , 60 ...

It can be solved by using complex numbers.
Assuming the centre of the polygon to be at (0.0), every vertex of the polygon represents the nth root of unity which is given by

[itex]1,α,α^{2},α^{3}...,α^{n-1}[/itex]

Every nth root of unity represents a vertex of polygon having n sides taken anticlockwise. Now you decide how to find the argument between two sides of polygon.

Related to What is the formula for finding the angles in a regular polygon with n sides?

1. What is an angle in geometry?

An angle in geometry is the figure formed by two rays or lines extending from a common point known as the vertex. It is measured in degrees, with a full circle being 360 degrees.

2. How do you find the measure of an angle?

The measure of an angle can be found by using a protractor or by using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

3. What is the difference between acute, obtuse, and right angles?

An acute angle is less than 90 degrees, an obtuse angle is greater than 90 degrees but less than 180 degrees, and a right angle is exactly 90 degrees.

4. How do you calculate the missing angle in a triangle?

In a triangle, the sum of the angles is always 180 degrees. Therefore, to find a missing angle, you can subtract the known angles from 180 degrees.

5. What is the Pythagorean Theorem in geometry?

The Pythagorean Theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This can be written as a^2 + b^2 = c^2, where c is the length of the hypotenuse and a and b are the lengths of the other two sides.