What is the formula for final velocity that has time in it?

In summary, the student is studying for a physics exam and is struggling to remember the equation for finding final velocity without distance. They do not have access to their notes and cannot find it on Google. The equations for final velocity are v = u + at and v^2 = u^2 + 2as, with the latter simplifying to V_f = V_i + at.
∞infinite∞
Hi,

I'm studying for my final exam in Physics tomorrow (doing a review packet) but I keep forgetting the equation/formula needed to find final velocity (not the one with the distance, but the one with time). I don't have most of my notes as my teacher keeps folders of our work and notes at school... and I can't find it on Google.

Please help ASAP it's 11:20 PM here, my eyes are killing me and I want to get an A on the exam...

Thanks in advance.

PS: I think it starts with "vf^2= ... at" ?

Physics news on Phys.org
There isn't one for v^2 involving t, the equations for the final velocity are

[itex] v = u + at [/itex]

and

[itex] v^2 = u^2 + 2as [/itex]

where[itex] u [/itex] is the initial velocity and [itex] v [/itex] is the final velocity.

Although Vagn is correct, you could say that

[tex]{V_f}^2 = {V_i}^2 + 2a \left( \frac{V_i + V_f}{2} \cdot t \right) [/tex]

but, ultimately, this simplifies to:

[tex]V_f = V_i + at[/tex]

Related to What is the formula for final velocity that has time in it?

What is the formula for final velocity that has time in it?

The formula for final velocity that has time in it is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

How do you calculate the final velocity with the given formula?

To calculate the final velocity, you need to know the initial velocity, the acceleration, and the time. Simply plug in these values into the formula v = u + at to get the final velocity.

Can the formula for final velocity with time in it be used for any type of motion?

Yes, the formula v = u + at can be used for any type of motion, as long as the acceleration is constant.

What happens if the acceleration is not constant?

If the acceleration is not constant, the formula v = u + at cannot be used. In this case, you would need to use the more general formula for final velocity, which is v = u + at + 1/2at^2.

Can the formula for final velocity with time in it be derived from other equations?

Yes, the formula v = u + at can be derived from the equations of motion v = u + at and s = ut + 1/2at^2. By solving these equations simultaneously, we can eliminate the displacement s and obtain the formula for final velocity with time in it.