What is the formula for electrical power in a DC circuit?

In summary, the conversation is about deriving the formula for power in DC circuits, which is P = I.Vab, where Vab is the potential difference between two terminals of a circuit element. The speaker also discusses their previous studies and attempts to use the formula P = dW/dt to derive the formula P = I.Vab. However, they realize that it would be more advantageous to use a differential charge dq moving a distance x in the electric field E, and this approach is more correct since there are multiple charges involved. They also mention a first-principles approach to Ohm's law.
ximath
I am studying DC circuits and trying to derive formula for power; that is in fact
[tex]P = I.Vab[/tex]

where Vab is the potential difference between two terminals of a circuit element.

From my previous studies, I know that.

[tex] P = dW / dt [/tex]

I assume that for a small interval, dt, a single charge q has a small displacement , dx.

Then;

[tex]dW = E q dx[/tex]

where E is magnitude of the electric field.

Hence, from the formula above,

[tex] P = E q dx / dt [/tex]

This is all I could come up with. I want to go on with this idea to prove

[tex] P = I Vab [/tex]

I know I need to substitute dq somewhere (to get I ) , somehow.. Simply replacing q with dq does not seem to work; it leads to an incorrect formula. (I find P = I dV ; I guess, if I do that.)

Physics news on Phys.org
ximath said:
...I assume that for a small interval, dt, a single charge q has a small displacement , dx.

Then;

[tex]dW = E q dx[/tex]

where E is magnitude of the electric field.

It would be more advantageous to assume that you have a differential charge dq moving a distance x in the electric field E. (And does dq/dt ring a bell?) Also I believe this approach is more correct, since you have numerous charges (instead of a single one) and you're attempting to find their aggregate behaviour when you use Ohm's law.

This derivation is also a very macroscopic one; the standard first-principles approach is given at Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm's_law

Your approach is on the right track, but there are a few things that need to be clarified. First, let's define some variables:

P = power (in watts)
I = current (in amperes)
Vab = potential difference (in volts)
t = time (in seconds)
q = charge (in coulombs)
E = electric field (in volts per meter)
dx = displacement (in meters)

Now, let's start with the definition of power:

P = dW / dt

This means that power is the rate of change of work (W) over time (t). In a DC circuit, the work done is equal to the product of the charge (q) and the potential difference (Vab):

W = q * Vab

Substituting this into the power formula, we get:

P = d(q * Vab) / dt

Now, we can use the chain rule to expand the derivative:

P = (dq/dt) * Vab + q * (dVab/dt)

Remember, current (I) is defined as the rate of change of charge over time, so we can replace (dq/dt) with I:

P = I * Vab + q * (dVab/dt)

But, in a DC circuit, the potential difference (Vab) is constant, so (dVab/dt) is equal to 0. Therefore, the second term drops out and we are left with:

P = I * Vab

And there you have it! The formula for electrical power in a DC circuit is P = I * Vab. Keep in mind, this formula only applies to DC circuits where the potential difference is constant. In AC circuits, the formula is more complex and involves factors like resistance and reactance.

Related to What is the formula for electrical power in a DC circuit?

What is electrical power and how is it measured?

Electrical power is the rate at which electrical energy is transferred or converted into other forms of energy. It is measured in watts (W) and is calculated by multiplying voltage (V) by current (A).

What is the difference between AC and DC power?

AC (alternating current) power is the type of electrical power that is commonly used in homes and businesses. It changes direction periodically and is typically supplied by power grids. DC (direct current) power, on the other hand, flows in only one direction and is commonly used in electronics.

How is electrical power generated?

Electrical power is generated through various methods such as burning fossil fuels, using nuclear reactions, harnessing wind or solar energy, or through hydroelectric plants. These methods involve converting one form of energy into electrical energy.

What is the difference between power and energy?

Power is the rate at which energy is transferred or converted, while energy is the total amount of work that can be done by a system. In other words, power is the ability to do work in a given amount of time, while energy is the capacity to do work.

How can we reduce our energy consumption and save on electricity costs?

There are several ways to reduce energy consumption and save on electricity costs, such as using energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs, turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using natural lighting and ventilation, and properly insulating buildings. Additionally, using renewable energy sources and practicing energy conservation can also help reduce energy consumption and costs.