What is the formula for determining wavelength in different mediums?

• Thread starter proskier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavelength
In summary, the individual is seeking assistance with finding the wavelengths of waves from a source in a different medium in their physics class. They mention an angle of incidence of 35 degrees, a speed of 150m/s, and a frequency of 75Hz in the first medium. In the different medium, the speed has dropped to 96m/s and they are unsure of how to determine the angle of refraction and frequency in order to calculate the wavelength. They also question if frequency changes when crossing a medium, but it remains constant.
proskier
Please help!

In my physics, I need to find the wavelengths of the waves from a source in a different medium.

In the first medium, my angle of incidence is 35 degrees and with a speed of 150m/s and a frequency of 75Hz. In the different medium the speed has dropped to 96m/s. I know the angle of refraction will be smaller. But how do I figure that out as well as the frequency in order to determine the wavelength?

Physics news on Phys.org
i guess what i really want to know is if frequency changes as it crosses a medium,

Nope, frequency is the one constant.

Related to What is the formula for determining wavelength in different mediums?

What is wavelength?

Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a wave. It is typically measured in meters.

How is wavelength determined?

Wavelength is determined by measuring the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a wave. This can be done using specialized equipment such as a spectrophotometer or through mathematical calculations based on the frequency of the wave.

What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency?

Wavelength and frequency have an inverse relationship. This means that as wavelength decreases, frequency increases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula: wavelength = speed of light / frequency.

Why is determining wavelength important in scientific research?

Determining wavelength is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to understand and study various phenomena such as the properties of light, the behavior of sound waves, and the structure of atoms. It also helps in the development of technologies such as telecommunications and medical imaging.

What are some common methods for determining wavelength?

Some common methods for determining wavelength include using a spectrophotometer, performing diffraction experiments, using mathematical calculations based on the frequency of the wave, and using specialized equipment such as a laser interferometer.