What is the formula for calculating rate of temperature change?

In summary: The formula itself is correct. I am not sure what the authors have done but they may have calculated the average rate of change over the entire minute, rather than at a specific point in time. This would explain the higher values. In summary, the formula ºC.min-1 is used to calculate the rate of temperature change during one minute. However, the rate of change may not be constant and can vary depending on the temperature. It is important to consider the specific point in time for accurate calculations. The graph shown in the paper may not accurately represent the rate of change and further clarification is needed from the authors.
valete
Hi all:

Sorry for the basic question but I have come across the formula ºC.min-1 in a paper which I believe is the formula for temperature change during one minute. The thing is that when I go to see how the authors used it, they have greater temperature change values than the ones a basic use of the formula implies in my interpretation (for instance, T1=27º; T2= 28º; T1 and T2 is one minute span so rate of temp change is 1ºC). Is that right or I'm missing something in the formula?

So, basically I have a data series of temperatures (as the authors of the paper) taken every minute and I want to know what is the rate of temperature change. So, which formula (and how) to use it?

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
valete said:
Hi all:

Sorry for the basic question but I have come across the formula ºC.min-1 in a paper which I believe is the formula for temperature change during one minute. The thing is that when I go to see how the authors used it, they have greater temperature change values than the ones a basic use of the formula implies in my interpretation (for instance, T1=27º; T2= 28º; T1 and T2 is one minute span so rate of temp change is 1ºC). Is that right or I'm missing something in the formula?

So, basically I have a data series of temperatures (as the authors of the paper) taken every minute and I want to know what is the rate of temperature change. So, which formula (and how) to use it?

Thanks!

Your question cannot be answered as given here because we do not know if the temperature change is LINEAR!

While it may be true that from 27 C to 28 C, the rate of temperature change per minute is 1 C, we have no idea how it would change at other temperatures! You gave no description, or even a graph, of the temperature change. It is entirely possible (an in fact, probable if one understands Newton's Cooling Law) that the rate of change of temperature may not be a constant.

Zz.

Thanks for the answer.
I attach the original graph I saw in the paper I mention and a graph with my data series to see if it helps but I believe that the rate of temperature change, in these cases, is not constant.

So, what I basically want to do is to plot in my graph a rate of temperature change similar to what appears in the graph taken from the paper.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 08-02-12 detalhe CINF minuto.jpg
    08-02-12 detalhe CINF minuto.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,378
  • graph.jpg
    graph.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,757
valete said:
Hi all:

Sorry for the basic question but I have come across the formula ºC.min-1 in a paper which I believe is the formula for temperature change during one minute. The thing is that when I go to see how the authors used it, they have greater temperature change values than the ones a basic use of the formula implies in my interpretation (for instance, T1=27º; T2= 28º; T1 and T2 is one minute span so rate of temp change is 1ºC).

Not quite correct. The rate of temperature change is 1 ºC.min-1

eg it's not "1ºC"

Basic calculation would be..

= (Temperature 2 - Temperature 1) / (Time 2 - Time 1)

= (28-27)/1

= 1 ºC.min-1

Checking the units...

= (ºC - ºC) / (min - min)

= ºC/min

= ºC.min-1

valete said:
Thanks for the answer.
I attach the original graph I saw in the paper I mention and a graph with my data series to see if it helps but I believe that the rate of temperature change, in these cases, is not constant.

So, what I basically want to do is to plot in my graph a rate of temperature change similar to what appears in the graph taken from the paper.

Thanks!

So plot a second graph showing the slope of your first graph.

Are your times in mins and seconds or hours and mins?

I've assumed mins and seconds below..

Looking at the left hand side of your graph...

At time = 13:00.5, T = 26.3
At time = 13:01.5, T= 26.1

So at 13.01 the slope is

=(26.1-26.3)/(1.5-0.5)
=-0.2/1
=-0.2 ºC per second

Negative because the temperature is falling.

Thanks, my times are actually hours and minutes but it does not matter.

I thought so but if you look at the second graph (from the paper) you realize that they could not have used that formula since they plot, for instance, a 2.2 ºC.min-1 when in that minute (from 12:14 to 12:15) there is a very small temperature difference between the two times (0.1 ºC or 0.2 at most)... So how are they using the formula to give these results? Are their calculations accurate? I'm still missing something?
Thanks

You are correct.

There appears to be something wrong with their graph (or our understanding of it) because even when the temperature is falling the rate of change is shown as +ve.

Related to What is the formula for calculating rate of temperature change?

1. What is the rate of temperature change?

The rate of temperature change refers to the speed at which the temperature of a system or environment changes over time. It is typically measured in degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit per unit of time, such as degrees per hour or degrees per day.

2. How is the rate of temperature change calculated?

The rate of temperature change can be calculated by taking the difference between two temperature measurements and dividing it by the time interval between the measurements. This will give you the average rate of change over that period of time.

3. What factors can affect the rate of temperature change?

There are many factors that can affect the rate of temperature change, including the amount of energy being added or removed from the system, the material and properties of the objects involved, and external influences such as weather or climate conditions.

4. Why is the rate of temperature change important to study?

The rate of temperature change is important to study because it can have significant impacts on various aspects of our lives, such as agriculture, weather patterns, and climate change. By understanding the rate of temperature change, we can better prepare for and adapt to these changes.

5. How can the rate of temperature change be controlled or managed?

The rate of temperature change can be controlled or managed through various methods, such as adjusting energy inputs or outputs, implementing insulation or ventilation techniques, and making changes to land use and conservation practices. These strategies can help mitigate the effects of temperature change and promote more sustainable environments.