What is the force required to hold a pizza peel level with a pizza on it?

In summary: Fgrav= 34.3kg sin theta= 0F= (3.5kg combined mass)*(9.8g)*cos(theta)M= 34.3kgThe pizzaiolo must apply a force of 36.7N to hold the peel level.
BensonCa

Homework Statement

A "peel" is a flat, long-handled shovel that a pizzaiolo uses to slide pizzas into and out of an oven. If a peel is 1.7m long and has a mass of 2.4kg and is carrying a pizza of mass 1.1kg as shown, what force must the pizzaiolo apply with his forward hand to hold the peel level?
upload_2015-12-20_19-37-37.png

2. Homework Equations
Torque= rFsin0

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I tried solving this multiple ways, combining the mass 2.4kg + 1.1kg = 3.4kg or adding Fgrav =34.3kg sin theta= 0 since the force applied is up and the only other acting force is gravity which is down, however I also noticed that the position of the pivot (where we hold the shovel is to the right of the mass therefore the sin theta could also equal one and I tried with both of these equations and no success

Physics news on Phys.org
In your formula for Torque, θ is the angle between the lever arm -- the pivot to where the force is applied, and the downward force produced by gravity on the objects. Like you noticed, if θ=0, everything becomes zero and the math gives you nothing useful.

Well I was completely wrong on this entire formula, so this is what I have found out.

the correct area that this belongs to is dealing with the concept of simple machines. MA= li/lo and li Fi= lo Fo
Fi= input force
Fo= output force
li= input lever
lo= output lever

ok so for this problem I did

Fi= (3.5kg combined mass) (9.8g) 0.3(pivot)/1.7(length) =6.05N; then (3.5kg) (9.8g)-6.05N= 28.25N and MA=5.7 (li/lo) though something is wrong here but I'm not sure where I went wrong

In order to hold the peel in equilibrium, the ∑F = 0 and the ∑M = 0 on the peel. The Pizzaiolo must apply forces with both hands to keep the peel from flipping, but the problem asks only what force he must apply with his forward hand. Think of this forward hand as the fulcrum and the peel as a lever. See if you can write some equations which describe this situation.

Related to What is the force required to hold a pizza peel level with a pizza on it?

1. What is the science behind the perfect pizza crust?

The perfect pizza crust is a result of a delicate balance between the ingredients and the cooking process. The crust is typically made of flour, water, yeast, and salt. The yeast feeds on the sugar in the flour, producing carbon dioxide gas, which causes the dough to rise. The heat from the oven then causes the dough to expand and become crispy on the outside while remaining soft and fluffy on the inside.

2. How does pizza dough rise?

Pizza dough rises due to the process of fermentation. Yeast, a type of fungus, is added to the dough and feeds on the sugars in the flour. As the yeast consumes the sugar, it produces carbon dioxide gas, which gets trapped in the dough, causing it to rise. The longer the dough is allowed to rise, the more flavorful it becomes.

3. What is the role of gluten in pizza dough?

Gluten is a protein found in wheat flour and is responsible for giving pizza dough its elasticity and structure. When flour is mixed with water, gluten forms and gives the dough its stretchy and chewy texture. Kneading the dough helps to develop the gluten, resulting in a more cohesive and manageable dough.

4. How does the oven temperature affect the pizza cooking process?

The oven temperature plays a crucial role in the pizza cooking process. Most pizza ovens reach temperatures of around 800°F, which allows the dough to cook quickly and form a crispy crust while keeping the toppings from overcooking. The high heat also helps to melt the cheese and blend the flavors of the toppings together.

5. What is the relationship between pizza and level force?

The term "level force" is not directly related to pizza, as it is typically used in physics to describe the force exerted on an object at a specific angle. However, in the context of pizza, level force can be used to describe the force required to shape and stretch the dough evenly. Applying too much or too little force can result in an uneven crust, affecting the overall quality of the pizza.