What is the Force Acting on a Particle with Changing Velocity?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the net force on a 0.2 kg particle moving in the x-y plane at a given time, using the equation mv1 + ∑∫Fdt = mv2. The suggested method is to differentiate the equation for velocity with respect to time, multiply by mass, and then substitute in the given time value to find the net force.
Doonami

Homework Statement

A 0.2 kg particle moves in the x-y plane under the action of its weight and a force F that varies with time. The velocity of the particle is given by the expression

[tex]\hat{v}[/tex] = 7.5(t2 + 3)[tex]\hat{i}[/tex] - (10/3)(t3 - 4)[tex]\hat{j}[/tex]

Homework Equations

mv1 + [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]\int[/tex]Fdt = mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I crazy? Or Can I just plug in 't=2' into the given equation? I'm sceptical, because it seems too good to be true. It is asking for F at t = 2 and the effect of gravity seems to be accounted for in the vector equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
hmmm good question
i haven't seen this type of question before but if your using the equation you have stated it looks like there should be some limits to deal with the integral.
On second thought, if you integrate F dt, you would end up with Ft which happens to be impulse so to be honest it looks a little confusing.
Maybe plug in your value for t into the velocity equation and then your value for t into the equation you have with the integral and rearrange to find F?
good luck!

RoryP said:
hmmm good question
if you integrate F dt, you would end up with Ft which happens to be impulse so to be honest
You cannot say that because F depends on the variable t !

So integration of Fdt doesn't give you Ft. this would only be the case if F were independent of t.

Now, the OP's question is to calculate F at t=2 no ?

What's the connection between F and v if you know that F=ma (a : acceleration)

marlon

ahhh nuts this is true!
sorry to be no help!

a = dv/dt

So, from that I should differentiate the equation for v with respect to time. I can just do this for the individual components (i and j) right? This should yield . . .

ma = 0.2[ (15t)i - (10t2)j ]

multiplied by mass, then sub in t=2.

Doonami said:
a = dv/dt

So, from that I should differentiate the equation for v with respect to time. I can just do this for the individual components (i and j) right? This should yield . . .

ma = 0.2[ (15t)i - (10t2)j ]

multiplied by mass, then sub in t=2.
Good. This tells you the net force, now find F.

Related to What is the Force Acting on a Particle with Changing Velocity?

What is particle kinetics?

Particle kinetics is the branch of physics that studies the motion and behavior of particles, such as atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles, under the influence of various forces and interactions.

What is impulse in particle kinetics?

Impulse is a measure of the change in momentum of a particle over a period of time. It is equal to the force applied to the particle multiplied by the time during which the force acts on the particle.

How is impulse related to momentum?

Impulse and momentum are closely related, as impulse is the change in momentum of a particle, and momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity. In other words, impulse is what causes a change in momentum.

What is the equation for impulse in particle kinetics?

The equation for impulse is I = FΔt, where I is impulse, F is the force applied to the particle, and Δt is the time during which the force acts on the particle.

How is impulse used in real-world applications?

Impulse is used in various real-world applications, such as in sports to improve performance, in car safety features to reduce impact force, and in rocket propulsion to generate thrust. It is also used in collision analysis and in studying the behavior of particles in different environments.