What is the focal length of the mirror?

Also, try using the magnification equations to find the image height and compare it with the given upright image of 1.0 cm.In summary, the problem involves a 2.0 cm tall object placed in front of a convex mirror, resulting in a 1.0 cm tall upright image formed 165 cm behind the mirror. Using the magnification equations and the given information, the object distance is found to be 110 cm and the image distance is 55 cm. However, after checking the sign convention and attempting to solve for the focal length, the calculated value of 36.6 cm is incorrect. Further steps are needed to determine the correct solution.
dorado29

Homework Statement

A 2.0 cm tall object is placed in front of a mirror. A 1.0 cm tall upright image is formed behind the mirror, 165 from the object

Homework Equations

1/s + 1/s' = 1/focal length

h' / h = magnification

-s' / s = magnification

h' / h = s' / s (i found this online so I'm not sure if it's correct)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure the question is saying the total distance from the object to the object's image is 165cm so:

s' + s = 165cm

s' = 165cm - s

then i plugged that into h'/h = s'/s

1cm/2cm = (165cm - s)/s and solved for s and got 110 cm so distance from object to mirror is 110 cm and distance from mirror to image is 55 cm

then i did 1/s+1/s'=1/f and solved for f

1/110cm + 1/55cm =1/f and got f=36.6cm. This was incorrect, so now I'm not sure what I should try

Physics news on Phys.org
Given mirror is a convex mirror. So check the sign convention of the object distance , image distance and the focal length.

Related to What is the focal length of the mirror?

1. What is the definition of focal length?

The focal length of a mirror is the distance between the mirror and the point where parallel light rays converge or appear to converge after reflecting off the mirror.

2. How is focal length measured?

Focal length can be measured by placing an object in front of a mirror and measuring the distance between the object and the point where the reflected image appears to be. This distance is equal to the focal length.

3. What is the relationship between focal length and image size?

The focal length and image size have an inverse relationship. This means that as the focal length increases, the image size decreases and vice versa. This can be seen in concave mirrors where increasing the focal length results in a smaller, but clearer, image.

4. How does the shape of a mirror affect the focal length?

The shape of a mirror plays a significant role in determining the focal length. Generally, a concave mirror has a shorter focal length than a convex mirror. This is because the curvature of a concave mirror allows for more light to be focused at a single point compared to a convex mirror.

5. Can the focal length of a mirror be changed?

Yes, the focal length of a mirror can be changed by altering its shape or by using lenses or other optical devices. For example, a convex lens placed in front of a concave mirror can increase its focal length, creating a virtual image that is larger and further away from the mirror.