What is the First Moment of Area for Calculating Shearing Stress at a Point?

In summary, calculating the first moment of area, Q, is essential for solving for the shearing stress at a specific point. This can be done using the shear flow method, which involves calculating the shear flow using the formula q = VQ / I. The resulting shear stress is then equal to the shear flow divided by the thickness of the material. The process of calculating Q differs for different sections, such as an I beam, as it depends on the shape and location of the point of interest. However, the shear flow method provides a more accurate representation of the average shear stress across the thickness of the section.
member 392791

Hello,

I am having confusion when calculating the first moment of area, Q, to solve for the shearing stress at point a in 13.9, I use the area which is above the point, but for 13.28 its to the right of the point. It seems they are both subjected to a vertical shear, so I don't think that has anything to do with it.

Attachments

• 13.28.pdf
    115.2 KB · Views: 632
  • 13.9.pdf
    90.6 KB · Views: 349
  • 13.9.jpg
    13.9.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 507
Physics news on Phys.org
It comes down to the shape of the section and the point where you want to calculate the shear stress.

In general, thin walled structures and sections can be analyzed for shear stress using a technique called shear flow. The shear flow is calculated using the following formula:

q = VQ / I, where

q = shear flow
V = shear force
Q = first moment of area
I = second moment of area for the whole section

The shear stress at any point is equal to the shear flow divided by the thickness of the material, so

τ = q / t = VQ / It

In calculating the shear flow of an I beam, one starts with a shear flow q = 0 at the ends of the flanges. As you travel from the free edge of the flange towards the junction between the flange and the web, the shear flow q increases. This is because the first moment of area Q is calculated for that portion of the area between the point of interest in the flange and the end of the flange.

Once you reach the junction of the flange with the web, Q equals the first moment of area of the entire flange area. Going down the web, Q increases until it reaches its maximum value at the centroid of the section, which is where the maximum shear stress occurs.

This is why the two methods of establishing Q for the two problems appear to be so different.

http://kisi.deu.edu.tr/mehmet.aktas/Dersnotlari/6.pdf

You could calculate Q for Prob. 13.28 using the area above the middle of the thickness of the flange, but the resulting shear stress represents only an average value for the entire width of the flange. By using the shear flow method, you calculate the average shear stress across the thickness of the flange, which is probably a more pertinent value.

Ok, so suppose now that point a is on the left side of the flange. Does that mean the area I calculate is to the left of point a or to the right of point a?

Woopydalan said:
Ok, so suppose now that point a is on the left side of the flange. Does that mean the area I calculate is to the left of point a or to the right of point a?

You always start from the nearest point where the shear flow q = 0, in this case the edge of the left flange.

Likes 1 person
ok great, thanks a lot

Related to What is the First Moment of Area for Calculating Shearing Stress at a Point?

1. What is shearing stress at a point?

Shearing stress at a point is the force per unit area acting tangentially to a surface at a specific point. It is a measure of the internal resistance of a material to shearing forces.

2. How is shearing stress at a point calculated?

Shearing stress at a point can be calculated by dividing the force applied tangentially to a surface by the cross-sectional area of the surface at the point where the force is applied.

3. What is the difference between shearing stress and normal stress?

Shearing stress and normal stress are both types of stress that act on a material. However, shearing stress is a result of forces acting parallel to the surface, while normal stress is a result of forces acting perpendicular to the surface.

4. What factors affect shearing stress at a point?

Shearing stress at a point is affected by the magnitude and direction of the applied force, as well as the shape and size of the surface the force is acting on.

5. Why is shearing stress important in engineering?

Shearing stress is an important factor to consider in engineering because it can cause materials to deform or fail. Understanding and accurately calculating shearing stress at a point is crucial in designing structures and machines that can withstand the forces they will encounter.