What is the finger print region of an IR spectrum?

In summary: Typically anything under 1000 cm-1 is considered to be the fingerprint region, but sometimes the region of the spectrum you were looking at (which you thought was an ether) can include a lot of alkyl bends and wags as well.In summary, the finger print region in an IR spectrum is typically considered to be anything under 1000 cm-1. However, this region can also include alkyl bends and wags, which can make it difficult to distinguish between different functional groups. It is important to carefully analyze the spectrum and take into account any potential impurities or additional peaks.
fatima_a
hello
i was just wondering what is considered to be the finger print region in an IR spectrum. Is there a range of wavenumbers which are designated as the finger print region?

...let me clarify um so a C-O bond in an ether (and maybe alcohol) is suppose to have a peak in the 1000-1200cm^-1 region and i also know that many other functional groups absorb in this region as well.

and i just did a question where I looked at an IR spectrum and based on everything decided that it contained an ether, aldehyde and a secondary amine. however the solution says the molecule is an aldehyde.

it explained that the part i thought was an amine as just an impurity from water or a hydrate, but it didn't explain the ether peaks at 1000-1200cm-1. is that because anything before 1500cm-1 is considered the fingerprint region? or is the peak suppose to look different like in that region for it to be an ether like broad or something (like in O-H stretch in alcohols or carboxylic acids) or am i just looking too much into it, since this is organic chem 1

below is a picture of the IR spectrum I was looking at
http://i.imgur.com/r9qw2.jpg

thank you:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Typically anything under 1000 cm-1 is considered to be the fingerprint region, but sometimes the region of the spectrum you were looking at (which you thought was an ether) can include a lot of alkyl bends and wags as well.

Related to What is the finger print region of an IR spectrum?

1. What is the finger print region of an IR spectrum?

The finger print region refers to the portion of an infrared (IR) spectrum that contains unique and complex patterns of absorption peaks. These peaks are caused by the stretching and bending vibrations of molecules, and they can be used to identify and characterize chemical compounds.

2. What is the significance of the finger print region in an IR spectrum?

The finger print region is important because it provides a distinctive "fingerprint" for each chemical compound, allowing for its identification and analysis. This region is also useful for detecting impurities and changes in a compound's structure.

3. What is the range of wavelengths in the finger print region?

The finger print region covers a wide range of wavelengths, typically between 1500 and 400 cm⁻¹ (wavenumbers). This corresponds to a range of 6.67 to 25 micrometers in the infrared spectrum.

4. Can the finger print region be used to determine the structure of a compound?

Yes, the finger print region in an IR spectrum can provide valuable information about the structure of a compound. The specific positions and intensities of the absorption peaks can help identify the functional groups present in the molecule, which can then be used to determine its structure.

5. How is the finger print region different from other regions in an IR spectrum?

The finger print region is unique from other regions in an IR spectrum because it contains a large number of overlapping peaks that are specific to a particular molecule. This makes it a useful region for compound identification, as well as for detecting changes or impurities in a compound's structure.