What Is the Final Velocity and Direction of Two Colliding Skaters?

In summary, the conversation discussed a two-dimensional collision between two skaters, one with a mass of 81 kg traveling east at 6.4 m/s and the other with a mass of 45 kg heading 60° south of west at 13 m/s. The problem required finding the final velocity and direction in degrees (south of east) after the collision. The solution involved using the equations Vix = M1V1/M1+M2 and Viy = M2V2/M1+M2, and setting up separate conservation of momentum equations for the x- and y-components. The final velocity was calculated to be 4.38 m/s, but the conversation did not provide a clear answer for finding the final
uno
1. A skater with a mass of 81 kg is traveling east at 6.4 m/s when he collides with another skater of mass 45 kg heading 60° south of west at 13 m/s. If they stay tangled together, what is their final velocity, and direction in degrees (south of east)

2. Vix = M1V1/M1+M2 and Viy = M2V2/M1+M2

3. for Vix = 4.11 and Viy = 4.64. I'm not sure what the next step is. please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
o.k. I figured out how to find the speed and the Vf = 4.38 m/s. Does anyone know how to figure out the final angle?

Thanks

This is the reply I got from my professor:
#15 is a two-dimensional collision that is totally inelastic since the objects stick together after the collision. Example 7.10 shows the solution for a similar problem, although it has one initial velocity of zero and #15 does not. Nevertheless, the example demonstrates that you set up a separate conservation of momentum equation for the x-components and a separate one for the y-components. I find it easiest to measure all angles from the positive x-axis; then the calculator automatically supplies all of the correct signs for the velocity components. For example, the velocity component in the x-direction for mass 1 before the collision is v[1,i,x] = v[1,i] cos (theta[1,i]). The velocity component in the x-direction for masss 2 after the collision is v[2,f,x] = v[2,f] cos (theta[2,f).

But I don't think it helps with finding the final angle...does it?

I tried to take 4.64/4.11 = 1.13. I then to the cotan of that answer to get 48.47 degrees. Am I on the right track?

Thanks

Related to What Is the Final Velocity and Direction of Two Colliding Skaters?

1. What is a collision with angles?

A collision with angles refers to a situation where two objects or particles collide with each other at an angle, instead of head-on or directly.

2. How does a collision with angles affect the outcome of the collision?

A collision with angles can affect the outcome of the collision by changing the direction and speed of the objects involved, as well as altering the amount of energy transferred between them.

3. What factors can influence the outcome of a collision with angles?

The outcome of a collision with angles can be influenced by factors such as the masses, velocities, and angles of the objects involved, as well as any external forces acting on them.

4. Are there different types of collisions with angles?

Yes, there are different types of collisions with angles, including oblique collisions (where the objects have different masses and velocities) and glancing collisions (where the objects have similar masses and velocities).

5. How is the conservation of momentum applied in collisions with angles?

The conservation of momentum is applied in collisions with angles by considering the total momentum of the system before and after the collision. In a closed system, the total momentum should remain constant, even after a collision with angles.