What is the final distance between two decelerating trains on a straight track?

In summary, two trains, traveling at different speeds and decelerating at the same rate, are approaching each other on a straight track. By calculating the time it takes for each train to come to a complete stop and using the equations for displacement, one can determine the distance they will be apart when both trains have stopped.
ellusion
hi I am new to this and i have a problem that I am stumped on.

Two trains, one traveling at 100km/h and the other at 128km/h, are headed towards one aanother along a straight level track. When the trains are 1.2km apart, each engineer sees the other train and applies the brakes. Both trains have equal, constant decelerations of 0.9 m/s^2. What is the distance they will be apart?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you first write down the equations for displacement in the case of constant acceleration (i.e. deceleration), and present us some attempts.

well this is what i have,

d=vt - 1/2at^2 and i believe i should find the time it takes

a= 0.9m/s^2 = 3.24km/h^2

Train 1
1.2 = 100t - 1/2(3.24)t^2
0= -1.2 + 100t - 1.62t^2

then i use the quadratic eqn to solve for t. am i on the right track?

Calculate the time it takes for every train to stop separately out of the equation [tex]v(t) = v_{0} - at = 0[/tex]. Then, plug the times t into the equations for displacement for each train separately and calculate the distance each train travels until it stops. It should be fairly easy to find how far they are apart from each other now.

ahh okay thanks for the help

Related to What is the final distance between two decelerating trains on a straight track?

What is kinematics in a straight line?

Kinematics in a straight line is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects along a straight path without considering the forces that cause the motion.

What are the basic equations of kinematics in a straight line?

The basic equations of kinematics in a straight line are displacement (Δx = x - x₀), velocity (v = Δx/Δt), and acceleration (a = Δv/Δt = Δ²x/Δt²).

How is displacement different from distance?

Displacement is the change in position of an object from its initial position, while distance is the total length of the path traveled by the object. Displacement is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, while distance is a scalar quantity with only magnitude.

What is the difference between average and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. Average velocity can be calculated for a whole journey, while instantaneous velocity can vary throughout the journey.

What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the change in velocity divided by the change in time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration can be calculated for a whole journey, while instantaneous acceleration can vary throughout the journey. Additionally, average acceleration is a measure of the overall change in velocity, while instantaneous acceleration shows the rate of change at a specific point in time.